Please sign in to post.

Izmir / Ephesus Turkey

I am arriving in Izmir as part of a cruise. What is the best and least expensive way to go from the port in izmir to Ephesus? Thanks! Ana

Posted by
590 posts

I will be there in October and from what I understand there are lots of buses and a few trains that go to Ephesus.

Posted by
338 posts

Selcuk is about 50 miles from Izmir. Ephesus is about 1 mile or so down the road from Selcuk. I've only ever driven a rental car in this part of Turkey and I have not been there recently, but can suggest three options to get there: 1). Rent a car. This will give you the most flexability to see some of the other associated sites around Selcuk and save the most time. If you choose this option, you will have to drive on a toll road for part of your trip. There are good road signs. Figure about an hour plus of travel each way for this method. 2). Use public transportation. There are regular buses that travel between Selcuk and Izmir. Once in Selcuk you can either take a taxi or walk to Ephesus. I'd allot two hours each way for this option. 3). Make your own arrangements in advance with a tour company that will meet you at the port. A little bit of internet research should yield some good options. In Selcuk plan on about a half day for a decent visit to Ephesus and 15 minutes to check out the ruins of the Temple of Artemis. If you have extra time, the Ephesus museum is worth a visit as are the ruins of the Basilica of St. John. There will be guides offering their services at the entrance to Ephesus if you're interested. You can also pick up English language guidebooks at the entrance. Good Luck!

Posted by
11294 posts

Go to Cruisecritic.com. There, you can get information about your ports; you can join a "roll call" of your sailing, and meet other travelers on your ship; and you can join up with others to arrange a private excursion to Ephesus that will be cheaper and better than the ship's excursion, and easier than doing it on your own.

Posted by
590 posts

i took a train from Izmir to Selcuk, but I was also at the airport in Izmir where the train station is located right there. It was very easy to catch the train and book my ticket.