We are in the midst of planning a trip for the end of August and the first week of September to see Italy and Croatia. I'd like some advise or suggestions on our itinary. We know we are hitting some places really quickly but are trying to see as much as possible in a rather short amount of time. Here is our schedule so far...are we trying to see too much to fast? Thanks!
- Arrive in Croatia and spend first afternoon and night in capital of Zagreb a. Renting a car in Croatia and driving to Italy first then back to Croatia. Issues/Recommendations about rental cars?
- Leave early Saturday morning for the drive from Zagreb to Udine Itay.....with short stops in Solvania (I've read in the guidebook about the sticker for the car for Solvania.) Arrive in Udine Saturday evening. Explore Udine area on Saturday as we arrive
- Driving to Verona from Udine on Sunday......all day seeing Verona and driving back to Udine
- Venice all day Sunday from Udine
- Leaving early Tuesday morning for Split Croatia......yes, it's a long day but looking forward to the drive actually
- We have Wednesday, Thursday, Friday to see the area near Split and going to try and take ferry to Vhar for one day
- Heading back to Zagreb on Saturday but stopping at the P Lakes on the way. Right now driving to Zagreb Saturday after the lakes.
- Full day in Zagreb before flying out on Monday morning. Do we get a hotel near the lakes and take our time driving to Zagreb on Sunday? Gives us more time at the Lakes and a free day on Sunday to take our time getting back to Zagreb
- Fly out from Zagbred and back in LA on Monday afternoon.....call in sick on tuesday for work. LOL
I realize we are hitting Venice and Italy quickly......trying to fit alot in I guess. We've booked everything but the rental car so far. I got one quote from Hertz for about 950.00 (includes insurance) for the car. Seems very high to me so asking what other companies would be recommended.
Our main hub is Split in Croatia and want to do the ferry to Hvar.....suggestions? We will have a rental car and don't mind getting "lost" while driving around the area...suggestions on things to explore?
I bought the Solvania/Croatia guidebook yesterday and plan on bookmarking alot of pages. Love how detailed the information is in the book.
Thanks for any and all advice and information you could provide for the trip. Don't be afraid to tell us it's too much is too short of time...especially the Italy portion. I think we can do it and see the highlights but want advise too.