Please sign in to post.

Istanbul Winter 2011

I will be visiting my cousin in turkey whi has been there for a month Know, She leaves in a city called Bursa I wanted to know if that is a long distance from Istanbul. I will be there in Feb. from Feb. 17 to the 25 meaning the end of the month does anyone know how the weather would be I did check some websites that say the actual temp. but has anyone expirienced the actual weather of this month. Any tips where to eat and dine also if Istanbul is a distance form Bursa which Airport should I go to? Lastly who has been to bursa to talk a little about there expirience... thank you

Posted by
10344 posts

Go to Google Maps, http://maps.google.com/ input Bursa, Turkey into the search box it will show you where Bursa is then click Get Directions, input Istanbul, and it will tell you Bursa is about 150 miles south of Istanbul, but on the other side of the Sea of Marmara. That's more than 4 hrs of driving. I haven't been there. For finding people to talk to about Bursa and where to eat, etc, you'll want to go here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g297977-i1213-Bursa.html
that's the Bursa forum of Trip Advisor Forums. Rick Steves, our Guru here, has a tour of Turkey, but unfortunately it doesn't go to Bursa. There's info on Bursa on the net, it's one of the largest cities in Turkey (4th largest, Wikipedia says) just Google Bursa for more info. The Trip Advisor forum, or other internet travel forums, will be your best place to interact with people who have actually been there, maybe even some locals.

Posted by
990 posts

I've been to Bursa briefly twice, though never in winter. When you arrive from the US, you'll almost certainly come into Ataturk Airport. Bursa does have an airport, so you may be able to connect to a flight from Ataturk there. If not, you can go by bus directly there, or by a fast ferry and bus combo. The ferry-bus route is a bit shorter, but a bit more hassle due to changing mode of transport. The old town in Bursa has some amazing architecture, as it used to be the capital of the Ottoman Empire. There are several historic mosques as well as the stunningly beautiful Green Tomb of one of the early sultans. You will also find a number of colorful markets, including the famous Silk Market, in the Old Town. There are some authentic Turkish bath hamams there as well; I promise you that you will never forget your first time in a hamam! Just outside the city are some famous hot springs, but I have never tried them myself. Also, Bursa is at the foot of Uludag Mountain, with a cable car that runs right to the top. It's Turkey's most famous ski and winter sports area. (Since I have never visited in winter, I cannot vouch for how good the skiing is.) Weather that time of year is probably a lot like Istanbulchilly with rain. Snow is unusual but a definite possibility. I would say that the winters are milder than New England but you should be prepared for cold weather. It's actually a lot like Seattle, where I am from, in that the temperatures tend to be above freezing but still cold and damp enough to need winter clothing. You should check the forecast just before you go for more specific information.

Posted by
40 posts

excellent response thank you so much everything i needed to know right there.