Please sign in to post.

Istanbul ,Turkey

I am traveling alone to meet my ex boyfriend (who invited me) in Turkey. He is from there so I will be meeting his friends and perhaps family. He has been there and I am going for a few days to meet up with him, see the sights. I am concerned about safety, traveling alone and also issues on human trafficking. Perhaps I am scaring myself but I want to be a causion and as careful as i possible can be. (I hope my english is good. English is my second language).

Posted by
11613 posts

I traveled alone in Turkey with absolutely no problems. If your boyfriend is meeting you when you arrive, I don't think you have anything to worry about (I'm sure you've vetted your boyfriend). Istanbul is a huge city and very cosmopolitan, but it's not as casual as Miami, so dressing more modestly than you do at home might be a good idea (I lived in Miami for many years).

Posted by
284 posts

Istanbul is pretty dang safe and although "Taken 2" was filmed there, I don't think that falling victim to human trafficking is something to be worried about. Unless you have specific reason to be worried about your ex boyfriend, I really don't think there is much risk. Human traffickers focus on people in poverty, not tourists, as their potential targets. The odds of being kidnapped or having anything happen to you is low, although a woman in a strongly male-centric culture you may be subjected to unwanted attention/advances if you out by yourself. That would be about the extent of what I would expect to experience there, but I can't imagine it escalating. In short: Go and don't worry about it. "Taken" is fiction. Human trafficking is real, but it is not something that usually (if ever) happens to tourists just going there to see the sights. Use common sense and you will be fine, especially if you are out seeing the sights with your ex (because anyone alone is more likely to be a target, anywhere).

Posted by
590 posts

I travled around Turkey alone for a couple of weeks last month and never felt safer. The Turkish people are some of the nicest people I have ever encountered. Turkey is amazing, you will love it!

Posted by
32213 posts

new to europe, I'm not entirely sure what advice to offer, as I have little information on the relationship between you and your ex-boyfriend and other factors. I do have some concerns about the fact that he's your EX-boyfriend, he's invited you to go to Turkey and you're considering accepting the invitation. While it might be perfectly innocent, I'm curious about the reasons behind the invitation. I haven't been to Turkey yet, but I've been very impressed with the few Turkish people that I've met. It seems like a generally "safe" country and every traveller I've spoken with raves about it. However, some caution may be warranted for females travelling alone. You may find it helpful to read THIS website, THIS website or THIS website. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't go to Turkey, but just trying to ensure that you're well informed about the possible risks. If English is your second language, what is your first language? Good luck!