Please sign in to post.

Istanbul Safety?

I may be travelling to Istanbul in a couple weeks, but while talking to a family friend recently she said something about Turkey being on a "Do Not Fly" list because it was unsafe for Americans. Does anyone know anything about this and is Istanbul a safe destination?

Posted by
417 posts

Istanbul is extremely safe. According to the State Department, there are no travel warnings. When I was there, I did not have any problems at all and found the people welcoming and kind.

There were some problems recently between the government and the army, plus some issues with Kurdish rebels, but none of those things should be a problem for you. Stay away from any demonstrations, and take any precautions that you would in any other large city.

Posted by
536 posts

Istanbul is extremely safe - the people are nice and cordial and you will absolutely love it. The Grand bazaar and Spice market are must see's along with The Blue Mosque, The Galata Bridge and so many other amazing sites in Istanbul - Do Not Be Afraid!!

Greg

Posted by
115 posts

We were in Istanbul in Sept. traveled all through Turkey, felt very safe, and in the city also. People are very friendly and I would not hesitate to go back, cant wait until then, it was by far my most favortie country and I have been to alot of countries.

Posted by
239 posts

We took our kids to Turkey last October and I have to say I felt as safe as in any city in the US. My friends back home laughed at our pictures because my kids had bright orange and blue Florida Gator sweatshirts on the said loud and clear we were Americans! The people could not have been friendlier and not once did we have any problems or feel nervous!! You will love Istanbul!!

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Savannah --

Yes, as others have said, Istanbul is totally safe. I have been there 4 times in the last few years, so obviously I love it. Turkish people are so polite and welcoming (aside from the usual rug merchants in the tourist areas, of course). Before you go, take the time to learn a few words of Turkish -- people really appreciate that courtesy.

Jerry

Posted by
284 posts

Lowest crime rate of any major city. I suspect that Minneapolis may have a higher crime rate than Istanbul. If you feel safe at home, then you should feel safe in Istanbul.

Edwin