Please sign in to post.

Istanbul safe for young woman traveling alone--Sept 2012?

Hello,
I consider myself an experienced European traveler, and am planning to be in Istanbul for several days in mid-september, possibly with another female friendwe are both in our mid twenties. My family is fairly concerned about my plans, especially in light of events in Syria, etc within the past year, that sort of thing. I know there are already several threads about safety in Istanbul, but most date from 2010 -any recent thoughts about safety and awareness in Istanbul for a single woman? Thanks!

Posted by
1840 posts

Your question has come up several times this winter all ready. You will be more safe than in Raleigh, NC. Istanbul is not some backwater civilization. Everyone is well respected there.

Posted by
8680 posts

Istanbul is a fantastic city. Was there last May. Walked solo around at night without any problems. Like any Urban area you simply need to be aware of your surroundings. There are men who may approach you asking if you want to buy a carpet, say "No," with a smile and keep walking. Some will try to engage you in conversation, all part of trying to get you to buy their wares. Firmly say "No thank you and keep walking." They'll stop. Overall I found Istanbul to be everything I imagined it would be and more. Totally fell in love with the people, the food, the history. Don't miss seeing the Hagia Sophia, Chora Church, the Cistern and the pink Orient Express building. Gulhane Park is lovely for a picnic and people watching. If you want a completely different look than one might expect in Istanbul visit the Kanyon Mall. If Starbucks is a must you'll find one there. A bit of a ways from the Old Town but accessible by taxi. Fantastic city. Go!!!

Posted by
22 posts

Hello! I disagree with the previous posts. As a single woman you need to be especially careful when traveling alone. Istanbul, I am sure is a beautiful city with plenty of history behind it. But a word of caution! Many women from the former Soviet Union are lured to Turkey for jobs to make extra money for family back home Instead of working in a shop or as a nanny they are forced into sex slavery. This is an important issue that has been ignored by the Turkish government. Please read Then Natashas: Inside The Global Sex Trade by Victor Malarek There is also a clip on youtube produced by Frontline. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0Aw6LVhSM I would watch the clip and purchase the book if you like. So your parents have the right to be concerned for your trip. I myself am a young woman in her 20s I would NOT feel comfortable going to Turkey alone. Turkey isn't the only country with this problem. Women from the Baltic States are lured to the UK and the Nordic Countries and it is also an issue in my native country, USA.
These countries realize this is a problem and they are doing something about it! But it is especially bad in the Middle East and Turkey. I would not go to a country that turns its back and is indifferent to Humans Rights and sex slavery. Go to more exotic European destinations like Dubrovnik Croatia or Macedonia. Or you can travel to Northern Europe to the Baltics.

Posted by
5527 posts

I went to Istanbul on my own when I was in my 20s. I found it to be perfectly safe. Just like any big city, apply normal common sense.

Posted by
590 posts

Travel smartly and you will be fine! Many single women travel to Turkey alone and encounter no problems. I am traveling there solo in October and not worried at all. I would be more scared to walk in my own downtown alone! People tried to scare me about human trafficking when I traveled solo through Romania. Only encountered some of the friendliest people I have met.

Posted by
22 posts

I am not trying to scare anyone I am just laying down the facts. Human trafficking is an issue in Turkey. Istanbul extremely large city of over 13 million people! That's a lot of trash and pollution. Although people say it's not as polluted as New York city. Some people don't like Paris and say it's polluted and dirty. My boss went to Turkey in September of 2010 when it was the European Capital of Culture. He had a blast! But he is the type of guy that can have fun anywhere. Just be careful and be smart about your travels. But I would not go to Turkey there is plenty of history and things to see in other parts of the world. Trust me! The Baltics Rock and are full of history. Maybe in the future you will make them a destination. It is a shame Rick Steve does not have recent information concerning the Baltic States. The information on his site is 14 years old......what a pity!

Posted by
973 posts

Hi Meg, I hope your friend can go with you. I know human trafficking is a problem, including in Texas, but Turkey is a secular state. Stay somewhere safe, if you drink then never leave your glass unattended, use taxis if in doubt. I had much worse vibes about safety in London.
The Turkish professor who showed us around Istanbul last October was very concerned about the refugees from Syria and their illtreatment from the Syrian government. Maybe by September that situation will be resolved and your family won't worry as much.

Posted by
29 posts

I loved Istanbul! If you use the same good sense you use in any big city, you'll be fine. In the old city area of Sultanahmet where most of the tourist sights are, you'll see travelers from all over the world, people who work in tourist oriented businesses such as hotels, restaurants and shops, and ordinary Istanbul citizens going about their ordinary business. On the Turkey/Istanbul forum on Tripadvisor.com, there are several trip reports from young and not-so-young women traveling to Turkey alone. You and your family will find those reports quite reassuring. And you'll get really excited about your trip. I enjoyed reading "Tales from the Expat Harem" by Jennifer Eaton Gökmen and Anastasia M. Ashman. It's a group of short personal essays written by women who spent time living in Turkey. Some of their experiences were funny, some were touching, most were enlightening. I found it helpful to read about Turkey from a woman's point of view. There is much to learn by visiting Turkey. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
9110 posts

For perspective, it would be helpful to know how many times Carol has been to Istanbul and when the last time was. My daughter-in-law must be in and out of there twenty times a year, alone, and has never said a thing about any concerns. Last year, I made four passes through the city, wandering around on two of them, and was never enslaved - - not that I'm that much of a catch. Two of the trips were into the far beyonds real close to Syria and Iraq - - nothing exciting to report about slave caravans.

Posted by
833 posts

I visited Istanbul with my husband for five days in Nov 2011. We are both in our early twenties. I felt safe there, and although I was grateful to have my husband along I think you would be okay alone. I would try to go with your female friend so you have someone with you, especially at night, but it is not a particularly dangerous city. Be smart, as you would in any other big city, but the risks aren't too much higher in my opinion, than somewhere else. Like some have said, the vendors in the Grand Bazaar or in front of restaurants on the bridge can be rather pushy, but you either ignore them or say "no" and keep walking - just don't stop and interact. I never felt truly in danger there. It may help your family feel more secure if you register with the US State Department's STEP program before you leave. It registers you as in the country with the embassy, you provide contact information through which they reach you if an uprising or emergency does occur, they can send you emails to warn you if they expect violence in a certain area. My husband was nearly pickpocketed by a young boy (about 12?) in Istanbul but because he recognized immediately what was going on, and had a safe hold on his wallet, he was fine. The boy started dancing around my husband and reached in my husband's coat pockets, but didn't get away with anything. And please note, this could happen in ANY large tourist city, is not particular to Istanbul.

Posted by
8680 posts

Carol, sex slave trade and human trafficking has been happening since before you were born. Much like the drug trade. When were you in Turkey? Recently? I've traveled ALL over the world solo from my 20's on. That's 40 years of experience. Not one scary, intimidating, frightful, moment to report as I never placed myself in a situation which could result in compromise. Remind me why I should trust you?
Meg, as I posted previously, simply be aware of your surroundings, be smart and be safe.

Posted by
653 posts

Meg, don't worry, you'll be fine. I've traveled to Turkey alone and found Istanbul to be a fabulous, world class city. You will be much safer in Turkey than in most US cities.