Please sign in to post.

Israel

We are two women traveling alone. Do we need to find a tour or are we safe enough to go on our own to the Holy Land and Tel Aviv and Dead Sea?

Posted by
9106 posts

You can easily do it both ways (I have). Israel has very modern tourist infrastructure, with one of the largest bus networks in the world that can take you literally anywhere, and english is widely spoken. Other hand when I've taken organized tours, I've had a great time, and learned a lot. There are so many layers of history that a guide can sometimes be essential to put things in context. If you're an experienced traveler I say explore the cities on your own, and book guided days tours after you arrive to sites in the outlying areas. If this is your first trip abroad, an all-inclusive tour would probably be a better option.

Posted by
11 posts

What about renting a car? Or, do you think we are better riding the bus? Thank you for your input. I appreciate anything else you have can tell us about traveling in Israel. I have thought about going into Eygpt... is that too far for a two week trip?

Posted by
9106 posts

I've never rented a car, but I know others who have done it without problems. There is also a train system which connects the three main cities.

Posted by
15643 posts

You will be fine. It is quite safe. You can see most of the country on your own using public transportation – bus, train, "sherut" – a shared taxi between major cities. To see the Galilee and Golan Heights, you will need to: take a large bus tour (1, 2, and 3 day tours are offered); rent a car – the roads are good, the signage is in English (also); or, private guide with a car (very expensive). You can visit the Dead Sea as a day trip from Jerusalem, either by public bus or with an organized tour. If you rent a car, take it only to visit the Galilee/Golan and possibly the Dead Sea on the way to Jerusalem. The big cities are very difficult to drive in, lots of traffic, one-way streets, and parking is hard to find and expensive.

Posted by
15643 posts

A private guide can add a lot to your experience but you don't need one. Some sites are only with a guided tour, others have free tours or introductory films in English, others have audio guides, usually included in the entrance fee. Every site has explanations in English. There are inexpensive walking tours in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. There are segway tours in Jerusalem (pricey, but fun). You can also hire a private guide for a few hours if you like. When are you planning to come? The holidays here can put a monkey wrench into an otherwise well-planned itinerary. For example, on holidays and "shabbat" (Saturday), much closes from an hour before sunset the evening before until an hour or so after sunset that night. No trains, buses only in a very few parts of the country, businesses close. I have a friend in Ohio who is kind of the Rick Steves of Israel. He has put together a guide (it's probably more than 50 pages by now and has color photos), based on his many trips here. It is free and completely non-commercial. If you are interested, send me your email by PM and I'll have him send it to you (pdf format). It's a great start to planning a trip here.

Posted by
975 posts

Joyce, I went years ago on a 10 day road trip with another guy and girl thru Israel and it was great. The freedom of a car was enjoyable there. Israel felt safer than Italy to me. Parking in the cities can be an issue so check with your hotel about it if you decide to go with a car. We started in Tel Aviv, went north in a big circle, then returned the car in Jerusalem & explored by foot with a guide.