Please sign in to post.

Is t safe to travel to Athens Greece in May 2011

I will be traveling around western Europe in May and am considering going to Athens for a couple days. Can anyone advise how safe it is now in Athens?
Thanks,

Posted by
1388 posts

I'm just back from a couple of weeks in Athens and had a great time. What do you think may not be safe about it? Alan

Posted by
32212 posts

Rich, I was in Athens and other parts of Greece last year (not too long after the demonstrations), and found it to be perfectly safe. Everything seemed like "business as usual". I wouldn't be concerned at all about returning there. The people are wonderfully hospitable, the food is great and there's LOTS to see. Have a great trip!

Posted by
119 posts

I just returned yesterday from spending a few days in Athens - it was perfectly fine, minus the freezing cold wind! Have fun, it is a great city.

Posted by
37 posts

I was in Athens in May, 2010 right after the riots. Stay away from crowded areas and have your street smarts turned on, as you should for any place you're at - US included. LOVED Athens!!! SO friendly! So much great stuff to see. Awesome shopping!!! :) Can't wait to go back.

Posted by
37 posts

I was in Athens in May, 2010 right after the riots. Stay away from crowded areas and have your street smarts turned on, as you should for any place you're at - US included. LOVED Athens!!! SO friendly! So much great stuff to see. Awesome shopping!!! :) Can't wait to go back.