Please sign in to post.

International drivers license?

Do I need an international drivers license to rent a scooter on Santorini? Can my 23 year old daughter rent one too?

Posted by
32222 posts

Debbie, An I.D.P. is normally compulsory in Greece, so it would probably be a good idea to have one in case they ask. Your daughter should be able to rent also, but it would be a good idea for her to also have an I.D.P. With the term "Scooter" are you referring to a small Motorcycle or a Quad? Happy travels!

Posted by
3123 posts

I think the police must be cracking down. I've been reading lately that some of the rental agencies on Santorini are now requiring a motorcycle license even to rent scooters, although I think for the smallest size scooter you should still be able to find someone to rent them to you. But you still need to go to your AAA office and get the IDP.

Posted by
32222 posts

Debbie, Quads are a very popular option for people visiting Santorini, but I have no idea what license (if any) is required for those. If you're planning to travel any distance, a Quad is NOT the best idea, as they're SLOW! I rented a Car on Santorini, so didn't have to deal with the motorcycle license issue. I'd recommend that you send an E-mail to Matt Barrett as I'm sure he'll have all the answers. Cheers!

Posted by
4535 posts

An IDP is REQUIRED to drive in Greece. Not recommended or a good idea, it's the law. Greece is more strict than other countries and most rental agencies will not even rent to you if you do not have it. Also, check if a motorcycle license will be required for scooters. The IDP is not a license, it is an official translation and verification of your state issued drivers license. You must have that along with the IDP to drive legally. Whether your daughter can drive will also depend on policies for each rental agency. Many restirct renting and driving for those under 25.

Posted by
23343 posts

I assume you have some experience with scooters. Greece and Santorini are not good places to learn. As a min it would help to be a experienced cyclists.

Posted by
3051 posts

I highly recommend the IDL. Probably not needed, but I did get into a situation last summer in Vienna in which a police person looked at my license. Having the IDL was a good thing. It basically provides a more readable version of the license. Stuff happens. Get the IDL. It takes 15 minutes and costs $15.

Posted by
3123 posts

The IDP is $15 PLUS a photo fee if you don't bring 2 passport photos.

Posted by
39 posts

This is all good advice....taken. And if we decide to rent a car, we'll be ready. How's parking around town?

Posted by
3123 posts

Parking is a major challenge in Fira, which is the island's social/commercial center. From mid-June until the end of August it is very crowded there. All villages have designated parking areas and it is legal to park on the street as long as you don't see a no-parking sign. Parking in Oia is a challenge around sunset because so many people go there at that time of the evening.