Please sign in to post.

International Drivers license

Does Greece require an international driver's license, or will my US driver's license work? I know it's fine in the UK, but some countries have started requiring it. THANKS!

Posted by
10344 posts

Look on this list click here for list of countries that require and don't require the IDP: Greece is listed as one of them that does require the IDP.Possibly you might hear from someone who says something like, "I drove there, didn't have one, the rental company didn't ask to see it, and nobody else did either." That kind of answer really does not answer the question you're asking.

Posted by
3122 posts

Although many rental agencies are "loose" and you can probably find a car to rent without an IDP, if you have an accident, regardless of fault, you will be held responsible, you'll be in serious trouble with the police, your insurance will be invalidated and you'll be detained until you can come up with the cash to pay for any and all repairs listed on a no-doubt over-inflated repair estimate. The IDP is cheap and you can get it at your local AAA office, no test required. ALWAYS take out insurance with the rental agent. Don't rely on your credit card's so-called automatic insurance. It's got too many exclusions and loopholes to be of any use to you, especially in a foreign country.

Posted by
189 posts

Thanks f or the replies, both of you!. Lee, my credit card insurance has always worked - even when I've had an issue. So I think I'm fairly safe there. I guess I'm outta luck on driving while in Greece though, because I thought my IDL was valied and it had expired. AAA is closed tomorrow on memorial day and we leave. ARGH! What a case of poor planning!
Thanks again! You've both saved me a lot of hassle.

Posted by
7569 posts

Actually, regardless of what you hear, Greece is one country that has gotten much more strict about requiring the IDP. They have startled the rental agencies enough that they started asking and requiring. Now a year or so later, some agencies may have slacked off, but for a simple $15....just get it.