Please sign in to post.

I'm a student and I have 1500 euro and 25 days where do I go in europe?

I'm a student and I like to travel with my brother to Europe where should I go and how should I travel starting from Greece ? I like to go to Check Republic and Spain, where do I start and how is the best way to go in the month of June?

Posted by
10344 posts

Budget questions are difficult, there's not a lot of data available on this Forum about the cost for students or other rock-bottom budget travelers. The best general data I've seen is that in Rick Steves' book Europe Through the Back Door 2009. Let's compare your budget to his. You've stated you ahve €1500 available--note that it makes a big difference whether you really meant €1500 or $1500.Rick's budget data is in dollars, so let's convert your €1500 to its equivalent in dollars to match Rick's budget. At today's exchanger ate (interbank rate + 2%), €1500 x 1.38 = $2070 in dollars. In Rick's opinion, in 2009 a rock bottom budget, for what he calls "student and rock-bottom budget travelers, is over $100+/person/day and that does not include airfare to/from Europe. His budget number is $3200/person for 30 days, this is $107/person/day and (important point) it does not include airfare to and from Europe. You say 25 days; 25 days x $107/day = $2,675. You have $2,000 available, thus you'll run out of money on your 19th day. Based on the above data, you need about $700 more, plus already have your airfare paid for, to do 25 days. If your airfare is already paid for and you have $2,000, you could do about 18days before your money runs out. There are details in Rick's book on the assumptions that his budget numbers are based on.Rick has said: "I'm cautious about sending people to Europe with too much confidence and not enough money."

Posted by
166 posts

Hi Mary,

Congratulations on your trip to Europe, very exciting! Given your budget, here are some ideas I'm going to put out there:

In addition to Rick Steves, I'd pick up a Let's Go! Europe book, as they tend to offer rock bottom priced options more geared toward students.

You may want to check out www.couchsurfing.com. I've had friends who have used it and love it, but it def. may push your comfort zone. For about $25 you can get registered and surf other people's couches for free!

With your budget, I would suggest only visiting a few places and staying there for quite a while. What makes travel really add up is the travel in between cities/countries. If you are moving cities every 2 or 3 days... you're really going to superceed your budget. If you want to see Greece, the Check Republic, and Spain, maybe you could spend a week in each. That way you would only have 3 inter-Europe flights. (Ryan Air often has really good deals but check out one of these websites to see what is available: www.flylc.com or www.whichbudget.com). Also, make sure you book an open-jaw ticket to Europe so that you don't have to backtrack. I would start by flying into whatever is cheapest from Seattle!

Good luck and have fun =)

Posted by
590 posts

I have been through Prague, Krakow, Budapest and now I am in Romania. I have an average of $73/day in Prague (Canadian dollars), $89/day in Krakow and I splurged on 2 tour groups (Aushwitz-have to do and a Crazy Guides trip), Budapest $69/day and Romania will be just as cheap. Stay in hostels you can easily do 70-80 dollars a day. THis does not include my airfare and I won a free eurail pass. My budget is just hostel, food, drinks, and sightseeing. I have been eating some grocery picnic style food, but have splurged on a decent meal here and there. You have to go off the beaten track a bit to get great food and half the price if you went to the old town (especially in Prague!!!!)
Krakow was great. I stayed at Greg Tom Hostel and there was free breakfast, dinner, internet and laundry only for $18/day. City Guides maps that you get at hostels give you better restaurant suggestions than any guide book and are cheaper. There are plenty of free walking tours but you have to look for them (all hostels will know), you just tip them.
Romania is one of the best places I have ever seen. Come now, because it won't be like this forever! Before Rick Steves starts putting them in the guidebook! lol