Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Budapest

Hello all, what is a good area to look for hotels in Budapest? I'm looking for hotels under $150 a night. Thanks

Posted by
17854 posts

I don't like giving advice on a hotel I haven't stayed at and there are an awful lot of really great and reasonably priced hotels in Budapest. I do know the neighborhoods to some degree so what I do recommend is that you pull out a map of Budapest and look for a major intersection in Pest on Andrassy ut that has the shape of an octagon. This is oddly enough called, The Oktogon. Draw a line from the Oktogon down the center of Andrassy ut and then beyond until you hit the river. Now find a hotel that is within a block above the line and three blocks below the line. I don't think there is a better area in the city to stay, especially for a first time visit, but just my opinion. In that zone the K&K Opera is one that I have stayed at. It is well located, clean, excellent service, great breakfast, nice rooms and about 100 euro a night so in your budget. But there are others. In this zone you will have a hard time finding a really bad hotel so check them out and read the reviews. Use Google Maps or even better Google Earth to locate the hotels in the zone. If you do find something interesting outside of this area and want a comment on the neighborhood send me a note and if I can help, I will.

Posted by
6 posts

Two years ago we stayed several nights at the Hotel Victoria in a river view room. It is in Buda but right on the Danube, directly across the river from the Parliament Building and very near the Chain Bridge. It was a great place to stay and very convenient to both Buda and Pest. There is a tram line directly in front of the hotel. Very nice accommodations and, I believe, you can get a river view room for the budget you are looking for.

Posted by
8124 posts

Let me give you a website for a hotel in Budapest: http://www.charleshotel.hu I stay at a B&B in Vienna where the owner is Hungarian. This hotel is owned by one of her buddies, and the price is incredibly low.
It looks like a great place to stay.

Posted by
1 posts

If you want to have a wonderful experience in Budapest, stay at B & B Bellevue Budapest. Castle Hill is right across the street, I had a view of Parliament from my window, the subway is right down the hill, and the best part is your hosts, Judit and Lajos. I call them my Budapest parents. I would not stay anywhere else if I went back to Budapest. There are also no bad reviews on Trip Advisor, which is unusual for any place!

Posted by
15576 posts

3 years ago I stayed at the Mercure Museum Hotel and loved it. Following the recommendation of friends, I chose to stay on the Pest side rather than the Buda side, and I did not regret it. The hotel was about 15-20 minutes' walk from the center (needed after the trams and buses stop running, because most of the taxis will rip you off terribly then). There were metro, tram and bus stops close by. The buffet breakfast was excellent. There was also a spa in the hotel (included in the room rate) but I never had time to try it out. The staff were very knowledgeable and helpful.

Posted by
17854 posts

Just a comment on the taxi's. There are two types in Budapest. There are the company cars and the independents. Avoid the independents and you will be just fine. Among the company cars City Taxi is probably the most consistent and Fotaxi is also very good and the airport contract company. This isn't a town like London; flagging down taxis is not common and yes, if you do, they do have a higher rate. The higher rate is posted and not just the whim of the driver. It's always best to personally call for a cab. I say personally because if you let the hotel front desk call they will most likely call for an impendent that charges more and pays a kickback to the hotel. http://www.citytaxi.hu/ and http://www.fotaxi.hu This advice is especially important at the train stations. As for hotels, Chani is generally very good with her advice and if you listen to her you won't end up wrong. I just returned from a few days in Budapest and I pretty much still think the location I posted above is my preference. But everyone has different expectations and interests and values, etc. Just do your research and get what you think will add to your enjoyment in Budapest. The town has so many good to excellent hotels that there is a lot to choose from to suit every taste.

Posted by
3551 posts

K&K Opera hotel was terrific with fab breakfast full buffet.
try expedia if website rate is too high.

Posted by
16 posts

Take a look at the promenade city hotel on Vaci Utca. Great rates, great reviews. We booked there and are staying there this May. Also Gilt.com has a great rate on the gorgeous art'otel on the Buda side, but it was booked when we needed.

Posted by
16 posts

Take a look at the promenade city hotel on Vaci Utca. Great rates, great reviews. We booked there and are staying there this May. Also Gilt.com has a great rate on the gorgeous art'otel on the Buda side, but it was booked when we needed.

Posted by
17854 posts

I walk down that street a dozen times a year and I have never noticed the promenade city hotel, but from the map it looks to be pretty well situated. Just do yourself a favor, take the walk from the hotel to the Market and then back the other way to the end of Vaci and then get away from Vaci and out of the tourist zone where the food will be better and the prices substantially lower. I did once stay at the Art'otel and I just didn't care for the hotel or the location; between those two you chose well.

Posted by
17854 posts

Here is a suggestion. Go to Google Maps Directions, then enter the hotel you are considering as one point and a few of the primary attractions in Budapest you are interested in as the other point, then WALKING as you means and see how long it takes to get from your considered accommodation to the things you want to see. Then do it again but use Public Transportation as the means. I do this where ever I am going and it has proved useful. Google Maps will recognize the names of most of the sights, like Opera House, Great Market Hall, Dohany Synagogue, Another thing to be aware of is that the Buda Hill Castle District is just that, a hill, and a pretty tall one that isn't fun to climb too often. So while the Hilton on the hill is a mere 40 minute walk (down) to the Market it's a lot tougher going back up. That having been said, I love a day in Buda and the view from Gellert Hill at night when Budapest is all lit up is in my mind one of the most beautiful sights on earth. We once stayed at the Art'otel and while I didn't care for the hotel at all and while getting back and forth to anything we wanted to do was a total pain, the view from our window across the Danube was stunning in the evening. We did make the mistake of opening the window and gotten eaten alive that night by little flying bugs.

Posted by
148 posts

While I have never stayed at the Art'otel I have put friends up there and they have always been satisfied and the prices are in your budget I believe. Our apt is literally next door (we overlook Fo Utca so our view is of the Castle District) although waking up and walking along the Danube is a great, great pleasure. There is also a very good fish soup (serves varieties of Hungarian fish stew: Halasz Leh) restaurant on the the corner of Fo and Halasz Utca. While not within walking district of Octagon or Vaci Ut., the hotel's view and nearness to the Danube is quite stunning and certainly reminds you that you are on vacation in Europe! At some point you'll be at the art museum, cathedral on Castle Hill and, then, the hotel is a scenic walk down. When traveling to Pest, the Metro is a short walk or one stop away via tram/above ground rail. Wherever you stay, Enjoy, Budapest is a terrific city.

Posted by
2023 posts

Another vote for Bellevue B&B. Wonderful place to stay and the owners will give you great advice-they will take care of you. The room rate was very affordable. Our room had a balcony which overlooked a wooded area below St Matthias Church.

Posted by
1 posts

Just booked K&K Opera for 3 nights May 23 to May 26,2013 315 Euros for two based on James recommendation. I will post results. Thank You, James. Peter Austin

Posted by
61 posts

Ellis, I went as a single traveler. I was looking for a room, en suite, that was centrally located, in a safe neighborhood, that was clean and well maintained at a good price. I found this in Ibis – Centrum. Granted, Ibis chain of business style hotels. However, it's cultural charm is located just out the front door on Raday Utca. Raday Utca is a lively street, lined with outdoor café's and restaurants, as far as the eye can see, filled with locals. Besides an occasional car, it seemed like a pedestrian only street. It had many great choices to dine, or just wind down with a drink, and it's just outside the door. I loved this street so much, that I spent all three of my evenings, dining at my favorite restaurant in Budapest! My room was very clean, and well kept. It was spacious for European standards. The bathroom was en suite, very clean and came with modern fixtures. The English speaking staff was very helpful, professional and someone was available 24-7. It provided free internet access as well as free Wi-Fi access. To add to this, the price is hard to beat! I got the room for approximately $77.00 a night (Internet deal back in Sept. 2012). The location is prime. It is a stones throw away from Kalvin Ter, which has a Metro Stop (Blue Metro Line/M3) as well as tram stop. There are many good choices in Budapest. This is just my experience. Have a good trip!

Posted by
144 posts

We stayed at Carat Boutique hotel in the city center and was very pleased with the price, breakfast, and location to subway. We paid for mid march around 70usd a night. Subway was maybe 5 minute walk.