Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Athens

I am trying to find a moderately priced room for 3 nights - preferably a good location and at least a rooftop view of the Acropolis - I am looking seriously at Acropolis View Hotel - the room description says it has a bathtub - but reviews describe small shower area in rooms. Has anyone stayed there or have any suggestions. I would like to avoid the Omonia Square area and chains. Thanks for your help

Posted by
3115 posts

For a view of the Acropolis have a look at the websites for the Metropolis, Attalos, Cecil and Plaka Hotels.

Posted by
3311 posts

Teri i will help if you tell us WHEN you are going, and what "Moderate" means to you, in Euros (€1=$1.30)? Are u lookng for a double? €100, 120 considered "moderate" in May - Sept. June-July-August are more. For €70-80, "budget" ... small reception, plain (but clean) rooms. For budget, 2 with divine locations, see Hotel Metropolis, HOtel Phaedra. Both have roof terraces w. acrop view, + some top-floor rooms. NOTE: Many hotels have v. small shower/only bathrooms, because they are in older buildings where Bathrooms were retrofitted into rooms. If u want large, luxe baths, u need to go to modern chain hotels... but then u don't get location. As I always advise inquirers, yes u can get a huge room with 2 queen-size beds and a giant bathroom for $75 at a Red Roof Inn... but then there you are, on a highway in Ohio. In Athens you're in your room to sleep; the wonder is outside.

Posted by
18 posts

Janet - Moderate price means between 250-425 Euro for 3 nights. Location and ideally a view are a must. A tub is a nice extra but not a requirement - I thought maybe I had found it all with the Acropolis View Hotel, but between comments and description I am confused. It seems all hotels in Athens have bad comments in reviews and outstanding ones, so it is difficult. My first and only prior trip to Athens we were in Omonia area, and that was a little rough. Thanks for your assist. and yes we need a double Going the end of May - will be in Athens May 27-30 - 3 nights checking out on the 30th I will check out the budget ones you posted as they just might fit the bill! :)

Posted by
83 posts

The Acropolis View Hotel is an excellent choice. My wife and I have stayed there eight times. The rooms at the front have balconies with excellent views of the Acropolis. Upper floors have the best view. Also a rooftop terrace with panoramic view. Our rooms have always had a nice separate bathroom with shower. Can't recall if tub is included. Good staff. Quiet street. Nice neighborhood. EZ walk to Acropolis and Plaka.

Posted by
2111 posts

Teri,
I would suggest checking hotel ratings at www.tripadvisor.com If you are not familiar with this site, users do the ratings and often photos are posted. When we were in Athens last year, we selected the top-rated hotel, AVA Hotel, which was on a lovely quiet street in Plaka. It did not have a roof-top terrace, but balconies offered two different views. When I travel, I always use Trip Advisor as a starting point for selecting a hotel, and I love the photos the users post. Sometimes you can even get pros/cons on specific room numbers. Also, if you don't use the Metro for transportation (which is easy to do), arrange your taxi thru your hotel to avoid the all-too-common rip off by Athens taxi drivers.

Posted by
3311 posts

Margaret & others, in case you have not heard there is good news about taxi service from Athens airport. A FLAT CHARGE has been decreed, covering all (including taxes, baggage charge etc)... for Airport to the Plaka district of Athens, it is 35€ daytime (5am-midnight) €50 night. NOW, if they can just set a flat fee from Plaka District to the port (PIraeus), all this Taxi angst would go away. PS: Pre-booking, either online or by your hotel, does carry an extra charge the flat charges above are for taxis in a taxi line, or hailed on the street.

Posted by
2111 posts

Janet, that is very good news about the airport taxi rate. That should leave a much more favorable "first-impression" among tourists. Thank you for letting us know!!