Please sign in to post.

hotel in Athens

Can you suggest a hotel (3or 4 star) for one night August 12 that would provide free or inexpensive shuttle from airport and then on August 13 transportation to Pirreas so we can get our cruise?

Posted by
973 posts

Transfers don't seem to be a common practice from what I'm researching. Rick's book on pages 208-213 has prices for the taxis, the metro, the public buses for both locations. Taxis from the airport to downtown are around 30-40 euros, depending opn where your hotel is. There is a metro which runs twice an hour, but if you have lots of suitcases it might not be ideal.
I'm having a time picking out which area and thus which hotel to choose for October.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you so much for such a quick reply. When you talk about Rick Steves' book are you talking about the one just for Greece?

Posted by
4535 posts

The metro is very convenient for both airport and port. Unless you have trouble walking or excessive amounts of luggage. In that case you will probably need to take a taxi. Some of the big name corporate (and therefore expensive) hotels might have some sort of shuttle service, but none of the local-name hotels will.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for such a quick reply. I've never used this site and I'm just amazed by the responses. No trouble walking but too much luggage to deal with the metro up and sown stairs. Think I can find a hotel with shuttle from the airport to downtown Athens but will have to find other ground transportation from hotel to the port at Pireas.

Posted by
973 posts

@ Marianne, yes, the "Greece Athens and the Peloponnese" which doesnt have a year associated with it, but is the latest edition. We're going to Greece for a week and then a cruise and am already wishing I'd arranged more time in Greece- "assume I'll return" mantra is in overtime.
@ Alan, how is the noise at the hotel? it looks good and I like the prices.

Posted by
1388 posts

Marianne The Greek government has recently fixed the taxi price from the airport to anywhere in Athens at 35 euros. There are generally plenty of yellow taxis on the rank outside the airport, to your right as you come out. Hotels will call you a taxi to Piraeus in the morning. I'd expect to pay around 20 euros although exactly how much depends on traffic. This in turn depends on time of day and day of the week. If we are only staying a night in Athens we generally go to the Attalos which is reasonably priced, efficient, and has a good roof garden. http://www.attaloshotel.com/ Have a good trip. Alan

Posted by
508 posts

Marianne - I believe every metro station has elevators and/or escalators. I have never had to lug my luggage up or down any stairs when I've been in Athens.

Posted by
1388 posts

Marianne I would guess we've stayed there 20 times over the years and on one occasion we had trouble with noise. On that occasion we had a room at the back, it was warm and we had windows open, and there was a nightclub in Psyrri which was playing loud music until late. On all the other occasions we've been OK with noise. I would ask for a room at the front and high up if it's a particular worry. Although there is a big road - Athinas - in front of the hotel it is now, in theory, only used by buses and taxis and for access. Julie is right that there is an elevator at the nearby metro, Monastiraki. You can get a metro to there from the airport for around 5 euros each and the hotel is then a 5 minute walk. In the morning the same station, but a different line, will take you to Piraeus in around 20 minutes for 2 euros each. Alan

Posted by
7 posts

All of you are fantastic. Thanks for the Attalos hotel recommendation and the suggestion for a room high up and front. The news about the set price for taxis is good to know. I imagine then that the price to the port is pretty set as well. I'm in Washington from now until Wednesday. I'll check my library when I return to LA for the Rick Steves' "Greece..." and if not available we'll go through Amazon.

Posted by
7 posts

All of you are fantastic. Thanks for the Attalos hotel recommendation and the suggestion for a room high up and front. The news about the set price for taxis is good to know. I imagine then that the price to the port is pretty set as well. I'm in Washington from now until Wednesday. I'll check my library when I return to LA for the Rick Steves' "Greece..." and if not available we'll go through Amazon.

Posted by
2114 posts

Without a doubt, we recommend the AVA Hotel in the Plaka neighborhood of Athens. We stayed there two years ago the night before leaving on a Silversea Cruise. Staff was delightful. The small hotel is located on a quiet street, yet convenient to dining, shopping, sights, etc. We found it be very clean and comfortable. We found the AVA Hotel by looking at user reviews on www.tripadvisor.com. The AVA Hotel staff genuinely cares about its guests, and it is comforting to stay in a place like that.

Posted by
655 posts

The AVA -Athens appears to be a winner. If you need an nate, we were pleased with the Electra Palace. Especially liked the location. Review these and more on tripadvisor.com. We (two seniors) took the metro into Athens with no difficultly. It provides a worthwhile savings. You arrive right in the center of town. If you should try it, I suggest that you obtain exact directions from your hotel. The distance isn't great but the streets can be hard to identify.

Posted by
7 posts

Many thanks to all of you. Looks like the AVA is a great choice. Marianne

Posted by
4535 posts

Another high recommendation for AVA Hotel. It's also just an easy 3 block walk from the Acropolis Metro stop and most of that walk includes a view of the Acropolis.

Posted by
255 posts

Yes, the Attalos is a nice hotel and you can't beat the rooftop view! And a glass of wine is only 2 euro!

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks to all of you. I gather that the Attalos is the AVA hotel you have all talked about and the price of wine clinched it. Now how about a similar recommendation for Venice. That's where this cruise ends and we have two days there. Know the room and the wine will be much more expensive but would love your advice.

Posted by
973 posts

Marianne, lots of posts on hotel recommendations in Venice- do a search according to the directions posted on the first page of Travelers Helpline, an don't forget the RS guide to Venice as well! ( you knew I'd say that didn't you?)