Please sign in to post.

Help with Turkey Itinerary

My husband and I are traveling to Turkey for a month this summer from mid-June to mid-July. We will be spending the bulk of our time in Istanbul, but also wanted to make our way down south. I am having trouble getting a sense of how long to stay at each place, best way to travel between towns, etc. Here is our tentative itinerary for the non-Istanbul portion of our trip: 6/29 – Leave Izmir for Bodrum 6/30 7/1 – Leave for Fetiye 7/2 7/3 7/4 - Leave for Kas 7/5
7/6 – Head back to Istanbul I would love advice on if this is too much or too little time at each place (Bodrum, Fetiye, Kas), if public transportation to and from these places is feasible, or if you have any other recommendations on towns to stop at instead of these. Any help would be much appreciated!

Posted by
11613 posts

Turkey is extremely well-served by long-distance buses, very comfortable especially if you sit near the front. Some other places to consider are Ephesus/Selchuk, Bergama, and Miletus, Priene, and Didyma. All these cities are in the same areas you plan to visit western coast of Turkey).

Posted by
338 posts

Your itinerary looks fine. With a few exceptions, a couple of days in any location outside of major cities is plenty. It's been a while since I've been down the western coast, so I won't offer any specific advice. However, I will recommend the Lonely Planet guidebook. It has good information on transportation and tourist sites for just about everywhere in Turkey. If you have not been to Ephesus, I will recommend that you consider a detour to Selcuk. Ephesus and other nearby sites/museums make this one of the top areas to see on the west coast. Good luck!