Please sign in to post.

greek islands

this sept. im going to europe, by november, i will be in greece. i plan to go to athens for sure. but would like to do a bit more in greece... instead of staying just on the main land, i was thinking of doing an island or two. ive heard santorini is beautiful, but would i only really be going there for looking at the beautiful views? or is there history there? mykonos, ive heard is PARTY central, but again, would that be all i would be there for. which has "a leg up over the other?" or are there any other great islands you could recommened. for all historic, scenic, and fun reasoning?

Posted by
1717 posts

Greece can have unpleasant weather in November : rain, and a cold wind. I recommend fly from Athens to the island Naxos. Ferry boats are not reliable in November.

Posted by
196 posts

Hi Brittany,
Santorini and Mykonos are over-run with toursists. But there is a reason.
Santorini and it's volcanic caldera offers stunning views, great nightlife, one of the best Archilogical digs, shopping and Wine. My wife and I hiked along the Caldera to the end of the island on the west side where a small town is. Everyone stops what they do in early evening and finds a place to watch the sunset. As the sun slips under the waves of the Mediterranean everyone starts clapping at the same time... just because of the beauty. Don't miss it.

Mykonos has crazy night life, but it also has the best beaches. Check out paradise and super paradise beaches (clothing optional). It's streets that wander in a maze pattern were designed to confuse pirates... they now confuse toursists. Mykonos is also a great place to take a boat to Delos. This island has no inhabitants and is just one big archilogical site. It's a simple day trip by boat and a must.

If you have to pick one pick Santorini

Posted by
655 posts

Hi Brittany,
If you have time for only one Greek Island, I think you have to select Santorini. It is not just a beautiful Greek Island, it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Just my view.

If you do decide to visit Santorini, consider flying there. Aegean Airlines offers, at times, some very reasonable prices.