Please sign in to post.

Greek Islands

We went to Santorini (Oia), Lipsi, and Halki three years ago and are planning to spend another two weeks island hopping next summer. We plan to revisit Oia and are looking for two or three different islands to see. I'm thinking of Crete because of the Samaria Gorge and could use suggestions on Crete as well as other islands people have liked.

Posted by
178 posts

If you decide to go to Rhodes, do a Google search for Seven Springs, Lindos, and the Butterfly Valley. We rented a car and drove to Lindos, and in addition to Seven Springs, however, the water was low at the springs at the time. We didn't go to Butterfly Valley because it wasn't the season for them, but if it would have been, we felt that it would have been interesting. I understand it is one of the most visited spots on the island. Keep traveling!

Posted by
5678 posts

Many years ago I went to Crete with a friend. We stayed at a little town on the south coast. I've just found it on the map and it's Chora Sfakia. In those days there was a passenger ferry that took you to the village where the Samaria Gorge comes out. I hiked up the Gorge to the place where it gets very narrow. It was good walk. I then turned around and caught the ferry back. We loved Chora Sfakia. There are other walks around there. They have a web page! We stayed in rooms and ate seafood and drank wine. The ride south is very steep and windy. We went by bus. On our bus was a many in traditional Cretan dress complete with bobbles! BTW i recommend checking out the Haley Mills film on Crete--Moon Spinners. It's a Mary Stewart book too.

We also did go to Knossos to see the ruins. It was fascinating. We didn't go looking for Zeus's cave. ; )

Pam

Posted by
11 posts

I visited Crete for a week in late May this year. I flew into Chania, stayed there for two nights, then went to the south coast. On the south coast, I stayed in Loutro. You get there by going to Chora Sfakion and taking the ferry. Loutro has no road. Ferry is the only way to get there. If you are looking for something quiet and peaceful this is the place. Samaria Gorge is easily accesible from here, as every ferry to and from the bottom of the gorge stops in Loutro. I spent my last night in Crete in Heraklion since my ferry to Santorini left early the next morning. I got to Heraklion in time to go and see Konosos the day before I left. I'll send you a PM with more info and some links.

Posted by
39 posts

We only visited Santorini but we also really wanted to go to Mykonos but fell in love with Santorini and just stayed there.

Mykonos looks beautiful and I have girlfriends who went who said it was awesome. There is a little island off the coast called Delos which has ruins and is supposidley where the Greek Gods come from.

Look into it!

Posted by
3122 posts

Delos is the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. The Greek Gods "come from" Mount Olympus.

Posted by
3122 posts

Excuse me for preferring to pass on accurate information instead of "supposedly."

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Carol. Crete is a very big island, and located a long distance from other islands. Therefore I think going to only Santorini and Crete is sufficient, for 14 days at the Greek islands. If you want to go to other islands, I recommend traveling in a boat from Santorini to Folegandros, and ride in a boat from Folegandros to Sifnos. A fast boat goes from Sifnos to the port of Piraeus. Read about those islands in the Lonely Planet book on Greece, and in the Thomas Cook book on Greek Island Hopping.