Please sign in to post.

Greek Island Hopping late May - early June 2010

Hello -

I am planning a 3 week Europe trip with two other friends from mid-May through early June. We have already booked our flight and are flying out of Athens on June 3rd, back to the US.

We plan to spend a week in Greece, and need any help or suggestions you can offer with relation to Greek Island Hopping! Our tentative itinerary includes:

Fly into Athens from Rome (1 night)
Ferry to Mykonos (2 nights)
Ferry to Paros (2 nights)
Ferry to Santorini (1-2 nights)
Ferry back to Athens (1 night)
Fly to USA

We are open to other options but have heard many good things about Mykonos, Paros, and Santorini. We are in our mid-twenties and are looking to have a fun, relaxing time on the islands. I'd appreciate any help with the ferry system, islands to visit, and lodging!

Posted by
7574 posts

That is a fast but OK pace, all of those islands are easily done on the ferry route, the only added suggestion I have is to fly Aegean Air from Santorini to Athens, otherwise it is a very long ferry ride, and the plane might be more dependable than a ferry.

You can also easily wait and buy the ferry tickets as you go, even rooms can be had at the dock, rather than trying to book ahead.

Posted by
3321 posts

You've picked 3 good islands to have a lively fun time in. Since you're interested in night-life, I suggest that you stay in the following places (1) PAROS: Parikia, or along the waterfront to the Left of the Dock... Livadia Beach area (2) SANTORINI: in Fira Town -- there are 2 "lanes" with rows of good budget hotels, when you go downhill from Fira Town square to the next parallel Street. 40-45€ for a triple with a balcony at Summertime Pension for instance (3) Mykonos: best to stay in Mykonos town & take bus to beach instead of vice-versa, because in the wee hours, busses have quit and taxis disappear & you're stuck miles from a beach hotel.

2 ways to get hotels on short notice: (1) Take along a list of budget places in areas you want (google "cheap hotels" for each isle) and try them on a walk-up basis, or via cell phone the day before, or (2) choose rooms from people who wave signs at the dock. NOTE: print out Maps of island & its towns & make the hoteliers show you exact locations! Otherwise you may find yourself in the boonies, stuck with no transport but costly taxis.

OR - you can make yourself a list of budget places to try, that are near to each other on an island... and try them on a "walk-up" basis.