Please sign in to post.

Greek Island ferries

My sister and I will be traveling to Greece in July. We are planning to travel from Athens to Mykonos on Monday, July 15th. Should we try to get the ferry tickets before we leave the U.S. or can we wait until we get to Athens on July 12th to purchase them? We are not interested in the high speed option and do not have a car that needs to be transported on the ferry. I would appreciate any insights and also recommendations on where to purchase the tickets. Thanks!
Ann

Posted by
3120 posts

The larger car ferries are seldom full but if they ever are it's in July, so it's probably best to book in advance. You can do so online at the various ferry company websites and pick up your tickets at the port. This company is also a reputable online ticket provider. Or you can buy your tickets when you first arrive at the Athens Airport from the travel desk of Amphitrion Holidays in the Arrivals Hall between Doors 2&3. They're open 24/7. Cash only, no CCs. You have two choices for departure to Mykonos, Piraeus and Rafina. Rafina is close to the airport and closer to Mykonos than Piraeus, so if by chance you're arriving early enough in the day it makes good sense to take the airport bus to Rafina and catch your ferry there, either that same day or first thing the next morning, depending on the ferry departure time. The Avra Hotel is just a short walk from the Rafina ferry dock. Ferry Schedules Here

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful!