Please sign in to post.

Greece travel

Hi there I am a woman, late 50's, who wishes to travel to the Greek Islands on a budget. I will be traveling solo, therefore I would like to go to a friendly area with inexpensive accommodations and a great transportation system. Ideally, I would love to lodge with a local family. What would you suggest as a possible 3 week vacation. I will be flying out of Ontario Canada. I prefer a non touristy vacation. Thank you. Linda

Posted by
32212 posts

Linda, all of the Greek Islands are somewhat "unique" in their own way, and some are more expensive than others. The other thing you'll need to consider is the ease of travel to whichever island(s) you choose. I was in Naxos and Santorini a few months ago, and both were great. What time of year were you planning to go there? I'd suggest that you have a look at Matt Barrett's websites, www.greektravel.com OR www.greecetravel.com (they're both very similar). He provides an EXCELLENT description of each of the islands, so that should give you the information you need to choose which ones you want to visit. I assume you'll depart from YYZ? You'll most likely have to transit through Athens, and you may want to spend at least a day or two there to visit the Acropolis and other sites (the Archeological Museum is incredible!). Some of the islands have airports and regular flights (especially during peak travel season) while you'll need to rely on Ferries from Piraeus to visit others. Finally, you might consider using one of the Greek travel agencies listed on the websites to make the Hotel and transportation arrangements. That's the method I used this year, and it worked well! Incidentally, I'm also late '50s and travelled "solo" to the islands (I was on the RS Greece tour prior to that). Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
6 posts

Hi Ken thanks for you speedy reply, appreciate it. Going to Greece has been a dream of mine for many, many years. There are a few groups going, but I am not one to be put on a rigid schedule, rather I like to get up and "go with the flow"....therefore chose to go solo. I have read up on Santorini in both books and on the net, so yes, that does sound like somewhere I would like to visit. I have not checked where the flights fly into, but probably Athens, as you mentioned. I will more than likely be flying out of Pearson International, Toronto, but if prices are better if Buffalo, I may consider flying from there, same distance for me either way, I was also thinking Mykonos sounds nice too, but not sure how touristy it is there. I prefer to live amongst the locals, so to speak. What about accommodations? I was thinking B&B with local families, alternately small local inns...I don't have a huge budget, so eating and sleeping local sounds fine to me. I hear museums and galleries are free. I am thinking around May. Again, thanks for your answer, anything advice really helps. Linda

Posted by
3122 posts

Museums are seldom free to foreign visitors but there are some exceptions that may apply to you. There might me one day/week where admission is free. Check your guidebooks for specifics. If you want a non-touristy island avoid those where cruise ships visit as well as those with airports, especially Santorini and Mykonos. Smaller islands such as Anafi, Folegandros, Sikinos, Antiparos, Kastellorizo, Alonissos, Nysiros and Symi, to name a few, will give you more of a sense of being amongst the locals. B&Bs might not exist where you go, but there is always a local bakery or market where you can pick up fresh breads and maybe even breakfast pastries, as well as fruits, coffee, milk, etc., and most rooms now have at least a fridge and coffee maker. Some will even have a small electric cooker with a few pots and pans. Check the website for "Mike's Place" on Antiparos. It's a very good and inexpensive place to stay. If you decide to go to Santorini you can sign up for the Aegean Airlines email newsletter and you'll be notified a couple of months in advance when their saver fares are offered for your travel dates, which you did not mention. Hopefully you're planning for 2011. Also, if your plan is to go next year during the summer months, look into flying from home to London where you can pick up a cheap flight straight to Santorini or one of a few other Greek islands on EasyJet. Their flights are very cheap if you get them right as they're released but be sure to read all the fine print about baggage restrictions and overage charges. Aegean also offers their saver fares from various European airports to Athens as well as to the islands with a plane change in Athens.

Posted by
2127 posts

The island of Lesvos fits the "friendly" and "inexpensive" and "non-touristy" requirements. It's a large island in the Northeastern Aegean, near Turkey. Our favorite place to stay is Hotel Votsala, just north of the capital, Mytilene. It's very budget-friendly, with wonderful breakfasts included. The hotel offers optional guided excursions around the islands (and even to Turkey), so you get to see various places without needing a car. You can find more about it on Trip Advisor. For this trip, you'd fly into Athens and then directly to Lesvos and take a taxi to the hotel. You'd want to return to Athens a few days before your return flight, in order to see all the sights of the city.

Posted by
6 posts

thank you your advice, actually today I was planning my vacation and I was thinking of flying into Athens and then to Thessalonika, Lesvos, Mytilini & Signi, back to Athens for a week....so it sounds in line with what you had suggested....all I have to do is make it work...!! also figure out how far I have to travel from one place to another...thanks again. Linda

Posted by
3320 posts

Linda, don't be in a rush. You're on a budget, going solo, and I'm guessing that means that you don't want to rent a car. Yet Lesvos is an island where you really are at a disadvantage without a car.... the bus system is very scanty. And even an Athens friend of mine who's a LEsvos fan (she just returned last night) said it is not a good island for a first-timer or an "only-timer." You still haven't said WHEN you are going... if you want to economize AND avoid a "touristy" element, going in May-JUne or September would accomplish this. And an island like Sifnos is very untouristy at those times, yet has an excellent bus network... you can get almost everywhere without need for car or taxi. AND it's only a 1-hour ferry ride to Serifos, anoher untouristy place outside of high season. When I visited about 3 years ago, there was only one internet access computer in the entire port town... in the back of the pool hall (!!). Another possibility is Samos. BTW "lodging with a local family" is not much the thing any more, but staying at a VERY small family-run "hotel" is ... in Naxos, my fave place has just 7 rooms no reception lobby, costs me about 20€ with balcony & beach view.

Posted by
6 posts

thanks Janet appreciate your advice, which hotel did you stay at in Naxos? I like the sound of the 3 places you mentioned, and yes, my budget is fairly tight, but I am determined to go next year, I was thinking May. Would like to be back in Ontario for the summer, we get so little summer here as it is. September also sounds like a good time of the year too. Are those places you mentioned ok for solo female travelers? I actually have no idea of how safe Greece is, just that it looks fabulous. And do they speak English in most places?? Again thanks for your advice. Linda

Posted by
693 posts

Linda, have you watched the movie "Shirley Valentine" - it's over 20 years old but still worth watching. Very funny, and the second half takes place in Greece.

Posted by
6 posts

thank you, yes I have watched Shirley Valentine, at least 15 times....however it doesn't help in my decision of where to go, just that maybe I will have a great time when I get there..... Linda

Posted by
32212 posts

Linda, have you had time to check the Matt Barrett websites yet? He provides an excellent description of most of the Greek Islands, including which ones are the most "touristy". Myknonos would definitely seem to fall in that category! If you're working within a budget for accommodations, I'd suggest using one of the Greek Travel Agencies listed on the website. That's the method I used and I felt they provided me with a good package for the islands I chose to visit this year (which included Hotels, Ferries and transfers). Dealing with the Travel Agency was a bit "different" than I've encountered before, but everything was fantastic. If you have any specific questions, Matt Barrett is very "approachable" - send him an E-mail! Cheers!

Posted by
6 posts

Hi Ken I'm actually on his page right now...I see there is a budget Island hopping tour, Athens, Paros & Naxos, 10 days, for approx 790 euros for single, its through a local travel agency...yesterday I was checking out budget accommodations in Athens. I have received some good advice and info since posting, so feeling more confident about this trip. Again thanks for your advice. Have a great week Linda

Posted by
2127 posts

In answer to your questions, I think the Greek islands are very safe. I have never felt the least bit nervous walking around alone. The Greek people are very warm and friendly, and go out of their way to be helpful. And yes, almost everyone speaks English. Occasionally, on the smaller less-touristed islands, we've found an older person who only speaks Greek, but then they find a child or teenager nearby to translate for them.

Posted by
2127 posts

One good budget hotel in Athens is the Attalos Hotel, which Matt Barrett also recommends. Great location near the Monistiraki metro stop. Easy walk to the Plaka and Acropolis, plus nice roof-top bar with good Acropolis view.