Please sign in to post.

Greece Travel

Hello Helpline, I have written a couple of times deciding on destinations for a 10 day travel abroad. There will be two of us on this trip. Our budget is 2,500 US dollars. We will be going from October 4th to roughly October 15th. We decided on Greece. Here is our broad itinienary: Fly from Indianapolis, IN to Athens, Greece Athens (2 Nights) Athens to Mykonos (2 Nights) Mykonos to Santorini (2 Nights)
Santorini to Athens to Indianapolis We plan on taking ferries to and from the islands. We know ferry travel will be difficult at this time. We would sincerely appreciate advice on the ferries. Please if anyone has any suggestions for our travel plan please let us know. Also suggestions for accommodations in each island will be so helpful. We aren't high mainteance, also we don't plan on spending too much time in the hotel ;) Cheers,

Posted by
72 posts

I have a couple of questions for you. Your budget of $2500 excludes your international airfare, correct? Do you have any nights in Athens after you depart from Santorini? I would highly suggest you visit the islands first and Athens second just in case your transportation plans change (because of weather, etc). I took the ferry from Athens to Mykonos (with stops in Syros and Tinos) in October 2011 on a beautiful, clear day and it was a great ride. In October the Aegean could just as easily be too rough causing delays on the ferries. This is why most of us on the helpline recommend spending time on the islands first, allowing a few days to make it back to Athens before your departure back to the US. If I were you I might arrive in Athens and spend the first night there. The following morning take the ferry to Mykonos (about 5 hrs long). I haven't taken a ferry from Mykonos to Santorini so you will need to research the routes and plan around this connection. Following Mykonos, ferry to Santorini and spend a few days. I suggest at this point taking a quick flight (about 45 minutes) from Santorini back to Athens. If you start looking now you might be able to get a good deal on one-way tickets. I was able to purchase a one-way ticket from Santorini to Athens for about $60 on Olympic Airlines for travel this past May. The fast ferry from Santorini to Athens (about 4 hours) costs about 60 Euros if I remember correctly. The cheapest way would be the Blue Star Ferry which takes about 8 hours. So, in my opinion, a flight saves both time and money if you can find tickets. Also, this way you won't have to worry about ferry cancellations. A few hotel suggestions: in Mykonos I enjoyed a deluxe room at Poseidon Hotel and Suites and at that time of year it was very affordable. In Santorini check out Villa Evgenia in Fira. George, the owner, is fantastic!

Posted by
3122 posts

Ferry Schedule website: http://www.gtp.gr When you first arrive at the Athens Airport take the bus to Rafina, not Piraeus. Rafina is a lot closer to Mykonos. If there's no ferry that day you can do a google search for an inexpensive hotel there and take a ferry out the next day. There is a daily SuperJet ferry between Mykonos and Santorini until October 8. After that the schedules change. You do have another option that I actually prefer. There's a 10am ferry from Mykonos to Paros that takes 40 minutes, then at Noon the Blue Star car ferry stops on the way to Santorini. Entering the Santorini caldera from the deck of an open ship is a once-in-a-lifetime memory. The SuperJet is an enclosed catamaran with no outside deck. There is a daily Blue Star ferry from Santorini to Athens/Piraeus that takes about 8 hours. Go to the Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines websites. 'Saver' airfares for October are now on offer for as little as €38, all taxes included. This is almost as cheap as a ferry ticket. You might be able to get them for your travel dates if you hurry. Depending on when you arrive you might even be able to fly out to Mykonos or Santorini that same day. Definitely save Athens for the end so you have those extra days to return to the mainland in case of a cancellation or a long delay from a mechanical breakdown.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you both very much for your suggestions and knowledge! We plan on booking our flights tomorrow so we will definitely use your suggestions as we plan. I will post our final itinerary afterwards! Again, thanks so much! Cheers,

Posted by
255 posts

I would schedule Athens at the end of the trip so that you can be more certain of making your flight on time.

Posted by
10 posts

We bought our tickets! Bought a ferry from Athens(5th of October) when we arrive to Mykonos. We also bought a ferry to Santorini after our 3 night stay in Mykonos. We missed our chance at a cheap flight from Santorini back to Athens. 2 nights in Santorini. We will continue our search. We will then stay 2 nights in Athens to fly home the 13th of October. I have checked out the accommodations you have suggested. Thank you again. Any suggestions for Athens? As I have been searching, I notice that people especially on tripadvisor have recommended hotels in "seedy" areas. What are your expert opinions on that matter. We are two younger ladies traveling together; we would like to limit as many opportunities of being in "seedy" areas. Cheers,

Posted by
1388 posts

Sai The seediest area of Athens is around Omonia Square and below Athinas Street between the square and the market. A good bet for you might be the Tempi http://www.tempihotel.gr/ It's close to Monastiraki metro station for access to Piraeus and to the airport and also close to most of the sights. It's in a nice little pedestrianised square opposite a church and the people are friendly. At the other end of Plaka - Plaka is the main tourist area under the Acropolis - there is the Phaedra. Also in a good position and some rooms have good views up at the Acropolis. http://www.hotelphaedra.com/ Early October is a good time to be in Greece. Have a great time. Alan

Posted by
3122 posts

I actually think the area around the Tempi Hotel is getting seedier than it's ever been, although it's not anywhere near as bad as Omonia. I recommend you stick to hotels nearer the Monastiraki Metro Station so you can move around the city easily and safely by Metro. Check out the Attalos Hotel, Metropolis Hotel, Amazon Hotel, A For Athens Hotel, Pella Inn and Plaka Hotel. Definitely avoid hotels in the Omonia Square area. The hotels aren't so bad but the square is where lots of druggies and prostitutes hang out at night. Mykonos-Santorini Ferry Schedule for October You're going to have to adjust your itinerary to correspond with the ferry between Mykonos and Santorini.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you John and Lee for your suggestions. I will begin looking into your suggested hotels. Lee we were actually able to get in on that ferry (09:55-11:50) that goes to Santorini on the 8th of October! So hopefully no cancellations. Things are definitely all falling into place now! We appreciate your knowledge! Cheers,

Posted by
255 posts

I have stayed at the Attalos Hotel twice, once alone and once with a group of teachers and students. It's a nice hotel, good location (within 2 blocks of Monastiraki Square),close to the Metro stop that goes to the airport, and a killer view of the Acropolis, especially at night. Breakfast is extra and it's a bit skimpy for what you pay but nice to eat in the hotel. Easy walk to the Acropolis, the Ancient Agora, Syntagma Square, and the Acropolis Museum. I plan to stay there next summer (2013).

Posted by
973 posts

We stayed at the Attalos last year and liked it, though a cabbie had a hard time finding the entrance to it once as it's next to hardware stores and non-touristy shops. That might throw you but it is a good enough neighborhood with much to walk to. The Attalos has a rooftop terrace you can enjoy- there were kids and nondrinkers there viewing the Acropolis. We appreciated the front desk prearranging a taxi for us on a scheduled strike day.
Also there is a coffee and croissants kind of cafe across the street from Monasteraki which was better than the 8 euros hotel breakfast, if you only need one cup of coffee. Take a tip passed on to us: take a taxi up to the Acropolis and walk back- wonderful walk, very interesting and easier than going RT on foot.

Posted by
1388 posts

Hate to disagree with Lee but I'd say that, if anything, the area around the Tempi is coming up in the world. In the last couple of years there seem to be an increasing number of restaurants opening up on the other side of the square and in the couple of streets further up. Having said that we also often use the Attalos and I agree with people who highlight its roof garden: wonderful! I raised the Tempi because Sai's original post says 'we aren't high mainteance, also we don't plan on spending too much time in the hotel '. Given that's the case the Tempi is significantly cheaper. Anyway,Sai, you've cetainly now got some good options to look at! Alan

Posted by
3320 posts

For single women on a budget (and I'm one, been in Athens 15 times) cannot do better for convenience, views, safety, welcome than either Hotel Phaedra http://www.hotelphaedra.com/ OR Hotel Metropolis http://www.hotelmetropolis.gr/ The Metropolis views from 3rd or 4th floor terrific, rates are lower than Attalos, and MORE convenient. Both Phaedra & Metropolis have rooftops open to all great place to bring snacks, a drink, lunch, whatever!! I'm originally from Naptown, have brought relatives to Athens, they can confirm what I say. Enjoy!

Posted by
4 posts

Sai,
I am booked at the Metropolis Hotel in Athens in early September - I hope it's OK. I did a lot of research for places to stay on the islands and Athens on www.booking.com and comparing reviews there to TripAdvisor reviews as well. We are flying straight to Santornini from Athens after we arrive and staying 3 nights, taking the ferry to Paros for 2 nights, and hopefully a return ferry to Athens and stay 3 nights before returning US. (would stay longer on islands, but have to visit relatives in Athens). Bring a jacket for October, as the island breezes will be cool.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions. So far we have all but 1 accomodation set up, and it seems to have been perfect timing as I see that you all have great suggestions for accomodations in Athens. Below is our tentative schedule. We also have our own must sees on our list. Are there any suggestions for activities or sites you all have found to be absolute musts?! -Fly from Indy to Athens (4th-5th) -Take the ferry from Rafina to Mykonos (5th) -Stay 3 nights in Mykonos @ Myconian Kohili-Korali-Kyma-Kalypso Thalasso Spa Center(5th-8th) -Ferry to Santorini (8th) -Stay 2 nights in Santorini @ Caldera (8th-10th) -Aegean airlines flight to Athens (10th) -Athens 3 nights (accommodation in the works :)) (10th-13th)
-Fly home the 13th to return the 14th. *We have a 12hr layover in Amsterdam...is it a good idea to visit the city. It will be an evening layover I believe around 7 pm to the next morning. If it were an earlier time we would definitely go for it, but that late our has us questioning the attempt. Cheers, in advance

Posted by
3122 posts

Your itinerary looks good to me. It's just too bad you don't have more time. Postpone your decision to go into Amsterdam until you're there. It's not far from the airport by train. The train station is central in the city and runs all night. You can easily find something to do in the evening. If you're hungry go to one of the many Dutch-Indonesian restaurants for a fantastic meal. It's called Rijsttafel, pronounced: rice-tafful, and there are many from which to choose. Look Here