Please sign in to post.

Greece in March 2010

Has anyone been to Greece in March (8-20th)? I have my spring break then and before I book a flight I'd like to know if this would be good walking weather. We're mostly interested in history and culture. I've not gone during the summer months as I don't like the heat and am not a beach person at all. We'd spend a few days in Athens, tour the Peleponnise (sp?)and an island. 12-16 degree weather would be perfect for us. When I did some checking, it seemed as though everything on islands didn't get operational until April. I'd appreciate any first-hand information to help us plan our trip. We've watched Rick's latest show and would like to do that itinerary if possible. Thanking you in advance, Natalie (Vancouver, B.C.)

Posted by
1414 posts

Natalie

I really like Greece in March, and have been there at that time for the last few years. It's nice to be around when the sites and museums are emptier, and restaurants have a bit more time before the summer rush.

The weather, in my experience, can be quite changeable. This year I was in Athens and had several days of ideal walking around and visiting sites weather: around 15 degrees and sunny. A couple of days had drizzle though, and one afternoon and evening there was an incredible downpour. I'd not taken a waterproof or umbrella and was seriously considering phoning for a take-away! It eventually relented enough for me to dash to a local pistaria though.

In Nafplio the year before it was a bit wetter, but still with quite a lot of sunny days. If you want to do the main sites on the Peloponnese then Nafplio is worth considering as a base: it is really beautiful in its own right, and has good access for Mycenae, Epidavrus and Tolon.

Andros is a great island for walking, and has the advantage that you can get there from Rafina which can be reached straight from the airport without going back through Athens.

Hope this helps.

Alan