Please sign in to post.

Greece

I'm traveling in June/July for 12 days (including flights) to Greece. PLan to got to Naxos & Santorini. Then Athens, Delphi, Meteora, Mount Olympos, Vergina, Thermopylae and maybe Thessaloniki. Not doing any more of the Peloponnese....does that sound reasonable ?

Posted by
3122 posts

No. You don't have enough time for all that.

Posted by
4535 posts

Lee is right, not nearly enough time. Consider these minimums: Athens - 3 days including either your arrival day or departure day. Delphi - 1 day Meteora - 2 days including driving time Mt Olympus - if just driving by could be included in overall driving time Thermopylae - just a monument on the roadside Vergina - 1 day Thessaloniki - 2 days
Driving back to Athens - 1 day but hardly enough time to stop at the above mentioned sites That's 10 days not including the islands. Also, you say you won't do anymore of the Peloponnese - but you don't include any of the peninsula.

Posted by
156 posts

Stop and smell the roses. If you're traveling with a significant other, the stop in Santorini might warrrant some special time just to gaze out over the caldera, enjoy the magnificent view while sharing a bottle of good greek wine. Naxos is a charming nearby island that warrants a day just meandering thru the narrow walkways seeking a very special rememberance.. We found Olympia very "cool" because of the ties to the current olympics. Frankly, Delphi didn't do it for me because I couldn't quite get into the Greek Oracle stuff. Problem with Olympia is that if you rent a car, it's a pretty good drive from either Delpi or Athens. If you don't rent a car, arranging public transportation on a timely schedule could be a real hassle. You'd never come close to visiting all the sites you've mentioned. Focus on the main areas, relax and enjoy you visit to Greece by not over-doing it.

Posted by
7562 posts

I also agree that it is too much. A major issue in Greece is just the time needed to get from one point to another. Public transportation (ferries and buses) are slow and take up the prime part of the day. On the mainland, this can be improved by driving, just driving in Greece has it's own issues. For you, figure you lose most of two days getting there and one back. You could get to Naxos on day two by flying, figure spending day three and four there. Day five travel to Santorini, spend part of day 5, Day 6, maybe fly to Athens on Day 7, if early enough, you could make it to Delphi that day, figure day 8 at Delphi, Day 9 to get to Meteora, day 10 there, day 11 drive by Thermopylae on into Athens (skip Thessaloniki), and that gives you a few hours in Athens before you fly out the next morning. Basically, you will be spending half your time on travel (Plane, Bus, Car, Ferry) As difficult as it may be, you just need to cut out a minimum of one more stop (drop the Meteora and day trip to Delphi from Athens?)

Posted by
2 posts

I appreicate all this advice. I'm trying to come up with a new plan. I'm listening to all of you. Thanks so very much !! Chris

Posted by
833 posts

Chris - I don't know what type of accommodations you are looking for, but if you do visit Thessaloniki I would highly recommend the hostel I stayed in: Little Big House. It's up in the old city which was a nice break from the rest of the city below. More quiet, very cool to explore. The hostel was around 16 euro a night I believe, and for 2 euro a day you could have breakfast (which we really enjoyed). Iced coffee for free all the time! Also consider going on the "One Love" cruise through the Thermaikos Bay. It's a "free" cruise (you must buy a drink while on it, but it's still a good deal) and if you can time it like we did to be out on the bay around sunset, it is beautiful. It docks pretty close to the white tower, not hard to find.