Please sign in to post.

Greece and Turkey April 26, 2011

My husband and I are looking to go to Greece and Turkey for 12 days from April 26th to May 7th. What is the weather like during that time and an itinerary that works to cover the highlights in thsoe areas during that time.

Posted by
3125 posts

The weather will still be in a transition mode then. Nights will be chilly but the days should be mostly sunny. The sea will probably be too cold for swimming and the pools aren't heated. You can't cover the highlights of two countries in 12 days (minus travel time), and without knowing anything about your travel style, preferences or interests we can't offer much in the way of accurate recommendations.. Get yourselves good guidebooks, read through them, then make a plan based on the sort of things you want to see and do. Then come back with questions related to some specific destinations you're considering. You'll also get a lot of help with this if you go to the Turkey and Greece forums on www.tripadvisor.com.

Posted by
6643 posts

That is the same period I was there (once to Greece and once to Turkey), and the weather was wonderful, especially if you're in the south. The evenings were nice and cool (not chilly - at least, not to me) and days were absolutely beautiful. ...By the way, I went swimming many times in Turkey during early May - both in the ocean at the beach, and at my hotel, and the water was wonderful. By late April/early May, the water will be fine for swimming in and around the south of Greece and Turkey. As far as an itinerary, it really depends on what you like to do. Both Greece and Turkey have a variety of experiences - beautiful scenery, historical sites and exquisite beaches. It's been awhile since I've been in Greece, but I was in Athens and Delphi, and also took the ferry to Crete. I did not go to the smaller islands, but I know that can be a worthwhile experience. You don't have a lot of time, though, if you are visiting both countries in 12 days. I spent 2 weeks in each one and could easily have spent more. As far as Turkey, I was in Istanbul for a week, then several days each in Goreme (Cappadocia) and Fethiye, then spent a couple of days in Selcuk, seeing Ephesus and a day in Izmir. I would highly recommend each and all of these locations. I absolutely loved Turkey - in fact, I enjoyed it much more than Greece. Greece was beautiful, but I didn't click with it like I did with Turkey. You are welcome to look at my Turkey blog for ideas - http://mardeeinturkey.wordpress.com