Please sign in to post.

Greece

Does anyone know of any smaller private tours (maybe family-owned) that get more off the beaten path...live like the locals...or at least immerse more in the culture - in Athens, Mykonos, and/or Santorini, Greece???

Posted by
3321 posts

Natalie, the islands you name suggest that you are on a cruise or a package vacation. Those 2 islands have their plusses, but are very highly touristic, not places where its easy to find "local culture". You may also be on a very SHORT visit to each island, less than a day, sometimes a few hours, and perhaps also in "high season" (July-August) when these islands are crowded and hectic - jammed and not relaxing. If you really want to experience Greek culture, get to know some greeks? ... I'd suggest you think about a visit a bit off-season (May, June, September) spend a short time in Santorini, then go to a less-"popular" island. We have many to suggest if you are not already locked-in.

Posted by
7 posts

Janet, Thanks for your help! You are correct, we are taking a cruise. This is not my preferred form of transportation (I am a more off the beaten path traveler, whereas it's pulling teeth to get the husband out of his comfort zone...I'm lucky he agreed to go at all - Ha!). Also, the cruise allows us to visit 3 countries in a short time period. I visited Europe and loved every second if it but am longing for those more intimate moments, cuisine, etc. The cruise will be in early May 2013. We will stop in Athens (which I've heard is all-too touristy, but I am nonetheless looking forward to seeing Parthenon), and we will also stop in Mykonos AND Santorini. Thanks again...looking forward to hearing back from you soon!