Please sign in to post.

Greece

We will be in going to Athens Greece from Sept 6 to Sept 11 wanting to see ancient ruins however can you recommed to make the best of the 5days that we will be in Greece Also recommedations for accomodations will to spend about 100 -120 Euros per night. Thanks!

Posted by
3122 posts

Stick to Athens and one or two islands nearby that you can reach as daytrips from the ferry port of Piraeus, such as Hydra, Spetses and Aegina. To attempt to venture further afield will take too much of your precious time, and there's plenty to see and do right in and around Athens itself.

Athens Budget Hotels: Cecil, Attalos, Pan, Arethusa, Metropolis, Amazon, Tempi. Depending on your departure time at the Athens Airport you might want to spend your last night closer to the airport, at the St. Thomas B&B. They have a free shuttle service between 8 AM and 10 PM.

http://www.stay-in-athens.com/index.htm

Posted by
7569 posts

There are some easy day trips from Athens to some classic sights. Delphi is one common trip, and into the Peloponnese is Corinth, Mycenae, and Epidaurus, which could be done in a day by car.

Posted by
655 posts

On the index above, click on 'Best Destinations', then click on Greece and you will find lots of information. With four - five days, focus on the mainland.

Posted by
131 posts

I agree with Paul. As much as I love Athens, I think 5 days there leaves you enough time to do Hydra (the only "close" island worth visiting) and a day or overnight trip to either Delphi or Naflion. I would probably choose Naflion only because it's also close to both Mycenae (fantastic) and Epidravos Theater (also fantatic). have a great trip!