Please sign in to post.

going to Eastern Europe October 2008

We will be visiting Budapest, Vienna, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, and Berlin this coming October. We already have our hotel accomodations. We need some advice from travelers who visited these destinations and know "what must we see and where not to waste our time" because of limited time in each city. We are planning three days at each of our destinations and want to make the best itinerary possible. Also the best places to eat at reasonable prices. Open to all advice.
Thanks,
Greg

Posted by
107 posts

Berlin and Prague are fantastic.

In Berlin, I would skip the House at Checkpoint Charlie, I know Rick Steves likes it but I found it to be highly overrated and very crowded, so much so that it was hard to view any of the exhibits.

Prague is a great city for just wandering around. I really enjoyed Prague Castle and walking around the old town.

Happy Travels

Posted by
9100 posts

You can avoid the crowds at CP Charlie by visiting early or late in the day. IMO it's a must see attraction, it documents a significant time in the city's history, and relations between east and west during the cold war. I can't imagine a visit to Berlin without checking it out.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Greg,
I thought "Checkpoint Charlie" was a highlight too. Also highlights in Berlin; the Brandenburg Gate, the Pergamon Museum and KaDeWe Department Store--especially the food court. Sharon in Atlanta.

Posted by
107 posts

Checkpoint Charlie may be better with less crowds as you need to get really close to read some of the items on the walls.

Posted by
166 posts

I thank each of you for your input. I'll put this on my must do list.

Greg

Posted by
65 posts

In Prague, the Jewish Quarter (or Josefov) is well worth your time. You purchase one ticket for the "Jewish Museum" and it gets you into many synagogues & the atmospheric cemetery. Plan on a few hours at least.

Prague is also an excellent city for concerts: most all sites convert into a concert venue in the evening. Seeing opera or a classical music concert is a much richer experience here -and many times more affordable than the States. (If you want to see an opera, Prague & Vienna are great places.)

Here's a site to check on Prague venues: http://www.pragueexperience.com/opera_concerts/opera_concerts.asp