Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt to Prague?

Two of us are travelling to Frankfurt from canada with Lufthansa. We are taking a 3 day stopover in Frankfurt. Arrival date is 22nd Feb early morning and we leave for an onward journey on 25th morning. What would you suggest we do in these 3 days? We were thinking maybe we can head to Prague. What is the best way to travel to Prague? Should we book in advance or can we arrive at the airport and buy train tickets to Prague? Thank you so much for your time.

Posted by
4637 posts

The best is to fly to Prague. The second best is to go by train to Nurnberg and then by nonstop bus to Prague. Last December we had to do it that way because all flights to Prague were canceled due to snowstorm. We bought tickets on the train and on the bus. You can buy it ahead on DB website and have it cheaper.

Posted by
180 posts

We rented a car and drove from Frankfurt to Dresden (going through Erfurt and some beautiful countryside) and stayed a night in Dresden, then took the train into Prague.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you Ilja and Erin for your response. How much time does it take to do immigration in Frankfurt? Also we are going to need sometime to leave our bags in the left baggage. We arrive at 7am..there is a flight at 9:25am to Prague and am wondering if we can catch that flight? Should I book the flight? or can I buy the tickets at a counter there? Should we buy a RailPass or a point to point ticket till Numberg? Another question on which I need some help : Should we carry the requisite currency from here or can we change it in Frankfurt? I really appreciate any advice we can get. We are first timers and I really appreciate any tips you can give. Thank you so much.

Posted by
4637 posts

Book your flight all the way to Prague. That way your checked luggage will also go all the way to Prague. 2h 25 m should be enough to catch your flight if the flight is not delayed. You won't go through customs in Frankfurt, only through Immigration and that's much faster than in US and perhaps also Canada.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanx for the response Ilja. I am afraid our tickets are already booked to Frankfurt and changing them now would be a very expensive option. Also Frankfurt is just a 3 day stopover for us as we leave frankfurt for our onward trip on the 25th early morning. Would you advice we come back on the 24th evening? or can I take a chance of arriving on the morning of the 25th by doing an overnight trip by bus/train? Thank you in advance for all your help.

Posted by
4637 posts

I am afraid that in this case flying to Prague from Frankfurt would be too expensive and using train/bus would be too long considering that you got only 3 days. I would suggest look for something closer to Frankfurt or maybe Frankfurt itself. Jo on this forum is a good source of knowledge and advocate of this city.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you Ilja. Have written to Jo..I hope she responds and can give suggestions for travel in and around Frankfurt

Posted by
23290 posts

With three days you do not have enough time for Prague. Go to Munich, see Rick Steves' favorite European city - Rothenburg, maybe even Nurenburg. All within about a two hour train ride - Munich is further. Book your ticket ahead of time on bahn.de to secure advance purchase discounts.