Please sign in to post.

Floods 2013 Czech Republic

Prague is experiencing extremely high water with some flooding. One hospital evacuated. Metro closes. Trams re-routed. Villages and towns outside of the city are having more severe problems. Watch the photo galleries on http://aktualne.centrum.cz/ Use Google translate as needed for more detail. Coverage in British news sites is also good.
Long term forecast is for rain continuing through June.

Posted by
964 posts

I have a good friend in Prague (we met on a RS tour a couple of years ago) and she's been posting photos on another website. It looks really bad. My sympathy to anyone affected by this.

Posted by
34 posts

June 5, 2013 6am CET The crest of the flood passed Prague yesterday. Places downstream are now getting hit. If you are planning to visit Prague, the historical center has been protected and things should be normal in a few days. Upstream and in villages, it is very bad in many places. The photo galleries on aktualne.cz show the worst. The site also has an interactive slide show that shows the 2002 flood and the 2013 flood in photos taken from the same locations. Srovnávací fotografie: Povodn? 2002 a 2013 http://aktualne.centrum.cz/domaci/grafika/2013/06/04/srovnavaci-fotografie-povodne-2002-a-2013/ The photo of the Zofin palac on a small island in the Vltava in central Prague show the dramatic effect of the new metal flood walls that can be erected in times like this. I note that Krems in the Wachau valley in Austria, which Rick points to in his guide, has these walls, too. Dramatic photos if you google "Krems flood 2013."
We just returned to Prague from a quick trip there in mid-May when it was gloriously sunny and the Danube was actually blue ... reflecting the blue skies, of course.

Posted by
56 posts

Hi! I arrived in Prague on Tuesday and was shocked at the water levels but it did not affect our stay with the exception of navigating around the Charles Bridge, due to its closure, to our amazing hostel- Charles Bridge Economic Hostel. We are now in Cesky Krumlov, having planned a 2 night stay before heading back to Prague for the weekend, and the transportation here is uninterrupted, the town utterly charming and an amazingly good deal! We are going horse back riding today and we highly recommend the lovely Krumlov House Hostel if you're still in the planning stages. I am not a weather person so I cannot predict what will come but I can say that the weather channel said it was raining in Dubrovnik while we were there Saturday - Tuesday and all we had was sunshine!! Please don't hurt this region more by changing or canceling your plans- "There is no bad weather, just in appropriate clothing." Oscar Wilde

Posted by
740 posts

I'm arriving in Prague on Sunday. Can anyone update the status of the opening of the Charles Bridge and the functioning of the Metro system (Dejvicka to Starometska) and the tram system (specifically Tram 22). Thanks.

Posted by
740 posts

In response to my own questions, it looks from a web cam image that the Charles Bridge is closed. It's about 8:30 p.m. in Prague and no one is on the bridge. Also, it seems that while the Metro Line A is running, it may be bypassing Malostranska and Staromestska stations. Tram 22 looks like its operating normally. Hopefully I'm interpreting the DPP website correctly.