Please sign in to post.

electrical adapters

I have the adapters for Italy and France, Germany. Will those also fit the plugs in Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Croatia and Slovenia? If not, I might be better off buying a universal plug. Any thoughts on the universal ones. Nice knowing I can always get first hand help here.
Thank you

Posted by
17972 posts

The only real difference between a F and an E is the F has the ground on the side of the plug while the E receives a Female prong from the receptacle. I've noticed that the appliances I purchase have plugs that will work either way and the adapter I recommended is set up the same way. The list for the Type F is: Algeria, American Samoa, Aruba, Austria, Azores, Balearic Islands, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, Chad, Croatia, El Salvador, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guinea, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Italy, Jordan, Korea, Laos, Luxembourg, Madeira, Monaco, Montenegro, Mozambique, Myanmar, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, Niger, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Turkey, Uruguay While the list for the type E is: Belgium, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canary Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Czech Republic, Djibouti, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, France, French Guiana, Greece, Guadeloupe, Ireland, Indonesia, Italy, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Madagascar, Mali, Martinique, Monaco, Morocco, Niger, Poland, St. Vincent, Senegal, Slovakia, Syria, Tahiti, Tunisia. Notice there is some overlap.

Posted by
1840 posts

Mimi, Yes, your adapter will work in the eastern European countries you will be visiting.

Posted by
17972 posts

I believe that other than England and Ireland the rest of Europe you can get by with a Schuko plug (type F) that is set up to also work in a French Type E receptacle. So if you have modern adapters for Italy, France and Germany you should have what you need. At a time in the past there were more variants but it's all pretty standard now. Personally I like this one as it works with grounded outlets which is a good idea if you have a laptop or similar: http://www.amazon.com/Grounded-American-European-German-Adapter/dp/B0038L54ZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1351622121&sr=8-3&keywords=schuko I recently gave one of my old cheapie two prong adapters away to a gentleman. The housing fell off and he got shocked. Buy something good. I've run into old buildings with odd shaped recessed holes so for a little added insurance, but don't use it unless you have to; bring along one of these which will fit just about any non-standard arrangement (but is not grounded!): http://www.amazon.com/American-European-Outlet-Plug-Adapter/dp/B0036VJ1OQ/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1351623152&sr=8-34&keywords=schuko Finally, remember that these are adapters for the size of the Pins and don't do a thing about the voltage or the frequency of the European power supply. Make sure whatever you plug in is rated to work on 230 volt, 50hz (that includes surge suppressors and hair dryers).