Please sign in to post.

Eger, Hungary

This town of Eger looks inviting, but so far off the beaten path. Is the train ride during the day from Krakow as beautiful as I think...is it worth the 12 hours on the train. (Have decided not to do the night train). Or skip Egan and go on to Vienna or Budapest.

Posted by
417 posts

I suppose it depends on how much time you would be allotting to Budapest and/ or Vienna, in my opinion.

Posted by
1 posts

Lea, As the previous poster said, it depends on how much time you have. I have been to Eger three times and loved it. The train ride is pretty, although pretty flat at times. Depending on the time of year, the crops in the fields can be beautiful. The town itself offers wine cellars, mineral baths, a cathedral and a castle. If you are only going to see Budapest in Hungary otherwise, I say make time for this so you can see some of the country side and taste their wines.

Posted by
156 posts

Eger is only an hour or so from Budapest by bus. Why not fly to Budapest and either make a long day trip to Eger or check out of your hotel a day early and find a place to stay in Eger. The Valley of Beautiful Women wine experience should be enjoyed if you go to Eger. A warning, however, be careful....the wine flow WAY TOO FREELY!

Posted by
811 posts

Just a slight correction to Jim's post above, and that is that the bus takes 2 hours between Budapest and Eger.

Posted by
148 posts

I, too, have been too Eger a few times. It is a lovely college town (now) and the old historic capital of Hungary. The castle is impressive but if you've seen a few castles this one isn't going to blow you away. I would, if forced to choose, rather see Budapest and then take the HEV train north to the town of Szentendre, a local art community. It has all the typical Hungarian feel of Eger and is much closer to the city, which for me, is THE thing to see in Hungary. Go the the Castle on top of Castle Hill, overlooking the Danube and Budapest, if you need a castle-fix.