Please sign in to post.

Eastern European Travel

I am going to be in Budapest and would like to make a trip to Auschwitz. Is there train travel between Budapest and Krakow; and if so how do I locate that connection on the web?

Posted by
1358 posts

I found this info for you: http://www.budapesthotels.com/touristguide/train.asp

Every day two trains, the Polonia and the Bathory, leave Warsaw for Budapest (12 hours ) via Katowice, Bratislava and Sturovo. The Karpaty from Warsaw passes through Krakow and Kosice before reaching Miskolc, where you can change for Budapest. The Cracovia runs from Krakow to Budapest (12 hours ) and Pecs via Kosice.

I will assume that the trains also run from Budapest to Krakow.

Posted by
3112 posts

You can check Budapest to Krakow train schedules on the Deutsche Bahn website - click Favorite Links above. Train trip takes 11-12 hours each way.

Posted by
26 posts

Hi Jeanine,

While train travel is one option, you may want to consider the bus system. My friend from Hungary insists that locals primarily use the bus to get between countries due to the slow pace of this particular train, the relative expense and the reputation it has for gypsies and theft. I think that you could get bus information at the Krakow train station. Bus may also be a good way to go to Auschwitz- there are some locally run vans and tours as well that will take you there and back. If you prefer rail travel, I have used Rail Europe several times from the US and had a good experience. The ticket prices are in US dollars and they ship them to you before you leave - that way you don't have to worry about getting the information once you are in Poland. Good luck!