Please sign in to post.

Eastern Europe Railpass Clarification

I will be travelling night trains from Prague - Krakow - Budapest and then a day train from Budapest - Vienna. I'm a little confused on the rail passes. First of all is it worth it to buy the railpass or should I just wait? Also, do rail passes work for all companies or is there just one company that it works for. Sorry if all this sounds very basic, but I feel like I've read so much and just needed these few things to be clarified.

Posted by
18167 posts

I'm no train expert, but since you haven't gotten a reply I will chime in. I know that the Budapest to Vienna ticket 2nd class can be purchased in Budapest a few days prior to travel for as little as 19 euro. My guess is that at most the Prague to Krakow ticket will cost twice that as might the Krakow to Budapest route. So unless the rail pass is well under 100 euro i am not sure i would consider the rail pass. But most of these fares can be researched on line. I have always had the impression that the rail passes are best for people who are doing a different town every othe night for a pretty extended period of time. Who will take the rail pass and in what time period and for how long, etc was pretty well spelled out on the eurorail website when i looked into this about 5 years ago. You might also look at the discount air carriers for the route as well; unless you just love the overnight trains. Try Wizzair and Ryan Air. There, now you have absolutely no definitive help.