Please sign in to post.

Dubrovnick

I will be visiting this city on a cruise. Do you recommend a tour with the ship or are there tours offered by the locals that are just as good and a better deal. Please advise as I leave on November 6th. Your thoughts are highly appreciated.

Posted by
544 posts

Rosy, Dubrovnik is one of the easiest cities to visit because most of the tourist sites are within a fairly small, walkable area. The streets are pretty much in a grid, so finding your way is simple. In November you shouldn't encounter over-whelming crowds and that will make visits to museums, walking around the city walls, etc., simple and convenient. Your ship's tour should be fine, but if you want a bit of adventure, you could do your own tour. First, skim through one or two guidebooks to help you decide what you might want to see in Dubrovnik. Use internet sites for specific museums, etc., to confirm their hours, costs, etc. Take along a map of the city (in a guidebook or downloaded from the computer). Decide if you need local currency or if a credit card will handle all your financial transactions. Language should not be a problem, particularly in restaurants or stores. Enjoy!

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you, Anita. I just spoke to Pepo, a tour guide recommended through this site. He was very nice and offered us a great deal...much better than the ship's tour.

I will take your recommendations and make a decision.

thanks so much!!

Posted by
358 posts

The best thing to do in Dubrovnik is walk the walls around the city which gives you some outstanding ocean views along with views of the city. There are a number of steps to climb to get to the top however you will be rewarded as the walls surround the city. Dubrovnik is one of my favorite cities in europe.