Please sign in to post.

Dubrovnick

We will be spending 4 days in Dubrovnik in mid September. We are interested in some day trip options. We will be going on a cruise among the islands later so we are interested in destinations inland. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any suggestions for restaurants or places of interest in Dubrovnick?

Posted by
811 posts

My husband and I rented a car from AutoEurope.com for the day to drive down to Montenegro (Bay of Kotor area). It was a pretty easy drive and we felt the time/money was well spent. Another day trip option would be to go to Mostar, Bosnia, although I really feel it warrants an overnight stay.

Have fun!

Posted by
417 posts

Mostar and Montenegro both make exciting day trips. If you do not want to drive yourself, buses are pretty easy and frequent.

Lokrum Island, just offshore from Dubrovnik can be a nice relaxing day. There are pebbly beaches, ruins, and a cafe for lunch. There is even a "dead sea" that supposedly has a high salt content so that it keeps you floating- I felt it was just more like a normal salty lake though. The ferry is frequent and only takes about 10 minutes. If the mood strikes you, there is a nude beach too.

Posted by
534 posts

Eat at Konoba Kamenice (in RS Eastern Europe book). Beyond awesome! RS recommends the octopus salad which was not bad. However, we HAD to have the fried calamari and the scampi after seeing them served. Unbelievable. The best! The scampi is messy - but totally worth it. (it was in a tomato sauce). Walk the old town walls around the town. Great views. And we did not stay at an RS recommended hotel (blasphemy). This was the VERY last stay on a 28 day journey and I kicked it up a notch. We stayed at Hotel More which was a 15 minute bus ride from the old town. The perk however was a proper hotel with a pool and most important....a hot tub. We had a very blissful evening in the hot tub, looking over the Adriadic as we sipped on beer. Never did I ever imagine that would be our reality.

Posted by
26 posts

We loved Dubronvik! And a good way to see other island is by kayak. A couple of kayak companies in town with one of them with a day long trip with kayak and pinic on three islands.

Posted by
7910 posts

Several options, Montenegro can be easily done by bus tour or car rental as a day trip. Mostar can be done by tour in a day, or by yourself, better as an overnight. Another option would be Ston and the Peljesac Peninsula (Wine, Oysters, Mussels, and beaches)