Please sign in to post.

driving in Turkey

Is driving in Turkey to the major sites a reasonable idea? We are a family of four, planning to go around Christmas.

Posted by
9 posts

Mina,

I would definitely not drive in Istanbul; when I was there 20yrs ago, traffic was so congested and the driving culture is tremendously different than here. Traffic lights are not respected and it's every man (person) for himself. My sister's friend who (who was born and raised in Istanbul) was in the States last year and she said the situation is even worse now. She's driven in Paris also, and she says Istanbul is 5 times worse. If you see all the posts about driving in Paris, you will see that 99% of people recommend not driving in Paris.

Outside of Istanbul, I don't think it would be that bad.

Let us know how your trip goes.

Posted by
8293 posts

Mina. I'm sure you do not intend to drive in Istanbul. Why would you? We drove around Turkey a number of years ago and it was fine. Of course, my husband got a speeding ticket ($85) but he deserved it and I could then stop nagging him to slow down. We used the Lonely Planet guide book, as I remember, and it advised taking with you the best road maps you could find, as they are hard to come by in Turkey.