Please sign in to post.

Czech Republic

Hello I was wondering if anyone has been to the military museums discribed on wikitravel and if you have are they worth the trip.

Posted by
14502 posts

By far the most extensive military museum if you are interested in seeing ordinance, especially a huge variety of tanks, is that at Bovington...the Bovington Tank Museum, very doable from London as an early day trip. Also, see the Herresgeschichtlichesmuseum near the construction site of the former South Train Station in Vienna. From the Westbahnhof take the no.18 tram, spent a couple of days (2009, 2010) diligently going through all that "stuff" on Austrian military history which includes an array of tanks...I was disappointed here...outside in what they call the Panzergarten (the garden of tanks). If you're looking for the 88mm, it's there but inside. The Imperial War Museum is much better for picture taking, digital or 35mm. (The 88mm is there too!)

Posted by
41 posts

I have been to the Army museum on Zizkov Hill (closest metro stop: Florenc) in the eastern part of the city. I recall one large first floor room and similar second floor room. The most extensive exhibits were WW1 and the WW2 resistance. It only takes about 2 hours to see everything. Closed mondays and fridays. For the casual traveller i think it would be boring. However, if you are interested in Czech history it is worth it, since military activity in Bohemia is not well known.

Posted by
14502 posts

When I was in Warsaw in 2001, I happen to stumble (was walking around without a map) upon the Army Museum. Since it was only 15 mins to closing, which I presumed was at 1700 and on the other side of a heavy traffic street, I didn't see the place. But from there you could see in the garten an array of tanks and heavy ordinance. If you intend on going to Warsaw, this museum is worth it. It's also big on Polish military history.