Please sign in to post.

Croatia Transportation

I am planning a 3 week trip to Prague, Budapest and Croatia in early October. Since ferry travel is seasonal in Croatia, has anyone take the bus from Split to Dubrovnik? What about the bus from Zagreb to Rovinj? Here is my itinerary. Any other suggestions? Thank you. Prague -4 days Budapest -4 days Zagreb - 1 day Rovinj - 3 days Split - 4 Days - day trip to Hvar
Dubrovnik - 4 days - day trip to Korcula

Posted by
543 posts

Jennifer, your trip sounds exciting. My suggestion is to reduce the number of days in Split and Dubrovnik. Even allowing for travel time and a day trip from each of these cities, I don't think you'll need as much time as you're allowing. I'd add more time to Zagreb, and maybe even add a quick train trip to Slovenia.

Posted by
956 posts

"My suggestion is to reduce the number of days in Split and Dubrovnik"
We are going to Dubrovnik -- among other Eastern European destinations -- next month. We have actually planned FIVE days in Dubrovnik. Our five days wasn't determined because we thought we "needed" five days there. We planned to spend five days there because we wanted the tail end of our trip to be relaxing on the beach. I know that much of the time, European travel (for Americans) is intended to be for touring, but sometimes, it's to relax, too. I was just responding to the quote, not really offering any "suggestions", Jennifer. But I will say this. Not only will our five days give us time to chill but we will probably also enjoy a day trip to Mostar. Enjoy your trip, Jennifer!

Posted by
8 posts

Jennifer, In addition to the links I sent I would like to add a comment, as well. Your days in Split and Dubrovnik are not long with you planned excursions to Hvar and Korcula. You are choosing a good time because it is not the height of the season so prices and crowds will be greatly diminished. While Hvar is nice, you might want to consider trading it for Brac; Bol, the beach on Brac is where all the Croatians vacation, the beach is known to be exceptional and this is to the folks who live in Croatia. The tourists head for Hvar but it is still lovely. Korcula is also wonderful but still a main tourist spot. You might want to consider Mljet. In either Split or Dubrovnik you can easily book tours out to islands from the docks. One disadvantage to the time of year you choose may be rougher seas which will impact boats getting out and your choices so be prepared for this. I happily spent a week in Dubrovnik with island side trips and relaxed. One day in Zagreb is not enough. Zagreb gets under-rated and people tend to pass through. If you can take some days from another place and extend Zagreb, do it. Even the cemetery, Miragoj, is beautiful and the largest park in Europe. (trouble posting may be in two parts)

Posted by
8 posts

Another great site http://croatia.hr/en-GB/Homepage
Off season car rental is also inexpensive. The drive from Split to Dubrovnik (or anywhere else in Croatia) is easy. Croatian auto club site http://www.hak.hr/en Rent a car in Zagreb and leave it in Dubrovnik if that is your end stop. Atlas Travel in Dubrovnik is quite helpful. I've learned to book with travel agents in the country I am traveling. I get more exposure to people other than Americans. I live with Americans so I prefer to travel with folks of other nationalities. When I booked our Croatian-BH trip this way we didn't see other Americans for our entire trip and got make friends with Scottish, Belgians, Aussies, alas, not the French. Another missed area is Peljesac. Sretan Put!

Posted by
2126 posts

We took the bus from Split to Dubrovnik, in early September 2009. It seems like there were several buses scheduled each day. We took the 8 am bus and arrived in Dubrovnik around 1 pm. It was a comfortable trip, with good views of the Croatian coastline, and one stop for a bathroom/stretching break. I would highly recommend that while in Dubrovnik you take a day trip to Montenegro. The Bay of Kotor is one of the prettiest places you'll see. If you're not busy on Sat. August 20, a group of RS posters meets at the Panera Bread in Aspen Grove at 10 am. I can bring photos/maps etc. from Croatia if you would like to see. Let me know!

Posted by
3112 posts

Travel from Rovinj to Split will be very difficult using public transit. I second AM's suggestion to rent a car. Roads in Croatia are very good and driving is easy, especially with a GPS. Pick up the car the morning you leave Zagreb, use it to explore other towns in Istria during your stay in Rovinj, plan a day to drive to Split and stop at Plitvice National Park on the way, and also plan a day to drive from Split to Dubrovnik stopping to visit Korcula on the way (minor detour to Orebic and short ferry ride). I've used Uniline, a Croatian company, for car rentals. Their rates are good, they often have specials, they'll pick up up at your hotel during business hour (if requested in advance) and they charge no drop-off fee for rentals over 3 days. If you do decide to take the bus from Split to Dubrovnik, there are several each day. Would be wise to purchase your tickets a day or so in advance to ensure you get your desired time. I've taken the bus in the opposite direction and it worked well. My hotel actually called and reserved my ticket, which I picked up and paid for the morning I departed.

Posted by
157 posts

Thank you everyone for the wonderful tips!! I realized I have less vacation time left than I thought and since I will be visiting Prague and Budapest also, I will only have a week in Croatia so I won't have 4 days each for Split and Dubrovnik but I wish I had more time as I prefer budgeting an extra or day in each city so I can have an extra day or two where I can relax. I will rent a car from Zagreb and drive to Istria and drop it off in Split. Take a bus to Dubrovnik. Charlene, I have been traveling for business and have not been home. I will try to make it to the next meeting if you are having one in September.

Posted by
294 posts

We are going to Croatia and Slovenia this fall. Are you planning to go to Plitvice Lakes? I would build a day for it if possible.

Posted by
157 posts

Yes, i am planning a day for Lake Plitvice. I will pick up the car rental from Zagreb and head directly there. Wish I had a day in Zagreb.

Posted by
3046 posts

As for Plitvice Lakes (NOT Lake Plitvice), a full day is absolutely required, and you will not regret a single moment. We stayed locally the night before in a charming pension (the hostess brought shots of homebrewed slivovitz to welcome us - ask me if you want the info about her place), and we got to the park at opening of 9 AM or 8:30 or so. We were there on Croatian National Day, so it was pretty crazy by 11 AM. When you get to the entrance, you can either walk to the top and take the train down, or take the train to the top and walk down. WALK TO THE TOP!! 20 people do that, 4000 take the train to the top - the walk is easy, and not strenuous, and you are going counter-traffic. We drove from Plitvice to Split, and this took 4 hours stopping 1 hr for lunch.