Please sign in to post.

Croatia

Would like to take a trip to Croatia at the end of the month for a mini vacation (5 days). We would like some sun and relaxation. We plan on flying from Franfurt to Zadar, as we would like to be in the coastal area and this was the easiest destination to reach by plane. Looking for others that have been to Zadar or Croatia in general and tips on places to stay, must see excursions etc. We live in Germany so getting there will not be a problem.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Christina

Posted by
7566 posts

Zadar has good transportation connections, so for a few days, you could consider one of the following options:

There are a number of coastal resorts right there near Zadar.

Consider getting to the Island of Pag.

Head further south, Split is a few hours away, nice in itself, but also Trogir nearby, or Hvar another short hop by ferry.

Posted by
28 posts

Thanks for the jump start. After checking my supplies of Ricks books, I do have the Eastern European edition, so have some great information to begin with!

Cheers!

Posted by
446 posts

also near zadar is krka national park. lovely waterfalls, especially if you dont plan to visit plitvice lakes. i dont believe that rick mentions krka.

Posted by
20 posts

If you had a choice to see either Plitvice Lakes in Croatia or visit Mostar in Bosnia, would you do both or would one be better over the other?

thanks, Jeanne

Posted by
811 posts

Hi Jeanne,

You may get more responses to your question if you start a new post on the subject, but since we're here now...

Plitvice Lakes in Croatia is a very scenic area, the main activity being hiking and enjoying the outdoor scenery (not much else to do, although it is beautiful). Mostar is a town in Bosnia that was hit hard during former Yugoslavia's war in the 1990s, and activities there include visiting local historical sites, shopping, eating, etc. Shell/shrapnel damage is still quite visible on the buildings and streets.

If I had to choose (and I've been to both) I would pick Mostar. But that is because of 2 things: 1) my husband and I aren't big hikers (the Plitvice hikes are easy, though), and 2) we got engaged in Mostar and therefore it is very sentimental.

But, as neither of my 2 reasons above are particularly relevant to you, the decision will have to be based on which one sounds more interesting and is more suitable to your travel style. Or, which one logistically fits into your overall itinerary better.

If you can do both, though, that to me would be the best option!

Feel free to PM me with questions, I'm happy to help if I can!

Posted by
446 posts

jeanne,
again this would be a personal preference issue and i am not that into cities but i would definitely pick plitvice. no hiking, just walking on boardwalks through beautiful waterfalls and lakes. can take a couple hours or all day.