Please sign in to post.

Croatia

Can someone answer for me if euros are accepted widely in Croatia? My family & I will be going on a cruise, and one of the port stops is Dubrovnik. I don't see us buying a lot of souveniers there; however, we would like the option of being able to buy something we see we may like. Also, do they take american express or visa? We thought we may like to get a few dollars local money "kuna" just for lunch during our day sightseeing. Any tips or recommendations?

Posted by
536 posts

Hi Diane - In Dubrovnik there are quite a few exchange stations on the streets so really not a problem. Many of the merchants will take Euro's but it's probably better to exchange a few Euros. Walk that wall while you're there - It's Beautiful up there and there are even a few cafes up on top for a rest period and a beverage.

Greg

Posted by
3112 posts

Euro aren't "widely" accepted in Croatia. If a merchant accepts them, it will probably be at a very unfavorable rate to you. Best to get enough kuna for the day's activities from an ATM. The rate will be much better than at an exchange window. The ATMs just outside the Pile Gate are convenient. Shops and restaurants may accept Visa, but American Express isn't as widely accepted in Europe. If you plan to see any sights (e.g. walk the walls), you'll need kuna to purchase the tickets. Enjoy your visit to Dubrovnik!