Please sign in to post.

Cell Phone in Turkey and Greece

I will be traveling in Turkey and Greece this fall. I intend to purchase an "unlocked quad-band GSM phone" before I leave and purchase a SIM card when I arrive. I've not done this before but it sounds like a good idea. Does anyone know if the same SIM card will work in both Turkey and Greece or will I need to buy separate cards for each country?

Posted by
3122 posts

You'll have to buy separate SIMs because the service provider you use will be different in each country and you have to be registered at the time of activation to use it.

Posted by
833 posts

You won't necessarily need to buy separate ones like Lee suggests. I used my Italian SIM card in travels to Turkey and Greece. You will however pay more for the service since you are roaming outside of that service provider. And you won't be able to reload your card from the Greek provider when you are in Turkey (or vice versa). So where ever you buy your SIM card - check how much it will be to roam in Turkey, decide if it's worth the cost or not. That may depend on the length of your stay in each location.

Posted by
32206 posts

Peter, Another option you might consider would be to use a SIM from one of the "travel phone" firms such as Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad, Call In Europe, Telestial, Mobal, EuroBuzz, One SIM or Max Roam. Many use a U.K.-based number so you'd have the same number for the entire trip. Some use post-paid billing (calls charged to a credit card), so no worries about topping up, foreign language menus, etc. I checked one of the above firms, and rates are slightly higher for use in Turkey. I've travelled with one of these in Greece, and it's worked well. For limited voice use and primarily text messages, they're quite cost effective. Based on your description, I assume you're NOT buying a Smartphone? Happy travels!

Posted by
7 posts

I did not know about the travel firm phones, thanks we'll check them out! We have been travelling all around Europe and we use this page as a guide. http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data
We haven't been to Turkey yet, but had great luck in Greece. We bought our sim card from wind and it even worked most of the time on the ferries between the islands. Usually when you buy a sim card, you always end up with some money left over on it (5 or 10) so you can use it when you get to the new country until you get your other sim. Good Luck! R

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks all. Good info. I'll check it all out.