Please sign in to post.

Cappadocia?

I'm trying to take my own advice and not plan too much in our 16-day itinerary for Turkey. We've already purchased airline tickets from Istanbul to Izmir to spend time at Ephesus. We're considering renting a car between Dalaman and Antalya to spend time in the coastal region.

The part that we're considering leaving out is Cappadocia as it's a long, overnight bus trip from Antalya to cities near Cappadocia and there isn't a direct flight.

Based on your experience, would we regret going to Turkey and not visiting Cappadocia???

Posted by
115 posts

We're going this summer, and I hear that Cappadocia is the highlight of any turkey trip and well worth the time.

Posted by
990 posts

I agree that Cappadocia is a must-see, but you need two days there to do it justice. Three would be better, honestly.

You could take a bus from Antalya to Konya comfortably, overnight there, and then bus to Cappadocia. Those aren't marathon bus rides, and also would give you a chance to spend a couple of hours in Konya at the Mevlana mausoleum. From Cappadocia there are flights back to Istanbul (assuming that you are leaving Turkey from there.)

Posted by
3250 posts

As you've probably noticed we've been "tweeking" this itinerary for awhile now. Here's a new plan thanks to your much appreciated suggestions. Even though there are a couple of 1-night stays it breaks up the trip and seems to make the distances more reasonable. Thanks!!

Istanbul (5 nights) Fly to Izmir;
Selcuk (2 nights to see Ephesus);
Fethiye (1 night mainly to break up the trip);
Antalya (2 nights taking inland bus route from Fethiye or rental car);
Konya (1 night);
Cappodocia (3 nights)--(fly to Istanbul);
Istanbul (2 nights).

Posted by
990 posts

Your latest itinerary looks quite do-able. One minor suggestion--you might think about stopping along your Mediterranean route for one night between Fethiye and Antalya. The Fethiye-Antalya route isn't excessively long, but you will not have much time to stop along the way if you make it a full day drive. I love Antalya, but on a first time see-everything trip, I would rather savor the coastal route than spend two days there.

Posted by
3250 posts

Thanks JER--we'll consider doing that--I was thinking that we could day-trip from Fethiye southerly and then from Antalya towards Cirali. We may have to play that by ear! I do however, think we're getting closer to an itinerary that will work.

Posted by
990 posts

That would work, too. Actually, our last trip we did just that, but that was partly because we were staying with relatives in Antalya.

Have fun on your trip to Turkey--you've done your homework and that virtually guarantees a great trip. Let us know if you have other questions...

Posted by
115 posts

Do you recommeend reserving hotels between Fethiye and Antayla is your going to take a coupkd of dsys to drive the coast? will there be a problem finding rooms? Thanks,
Also any recommendations on where to stay when ou get to Cappadocia?

Posted by
990 posts

I wouldn't bother booking along the coast. There are plenty of pansiyons along the way, and you can play it by ear as you travel. We book in advance in Antalya because we prefer staying at very small hotels in the walled city, and those can sometimes fill up.

Posted by
990 posts

On Cappadocia, if you can afford a bit of a splurge, I'd go with a cave hotel. Where else are you going to have that experience? There are quite a few nice boutique cave hotels in Urgup. Goreme tends to cater more to the backpacking crowd, though I think there are some nice places to stay there, too. We have stayed twice at the Esbelli Evi in Urgup. It's the most expensive place we've ever stayed in Turkey, but very much worth it. I think it is one of the great hotels of the world.