Please sign in to post.

Bulgaria questions

I'm going to Bulgaria in mid-March (brrrr!) I'll only be there two nights. Should I stay in Plovdiv one night or both nights in Sofia? Which is better to visitRila Monastery or Plovtiv? If I stay in Plovdiv, could I take a bus from Plovdiv to Koprivishtitsa and then on to Sofia in a single day? As a solo traveler off-season, are there any groups I can join or am I stuck paying for a car and driver? Any recommended companies? Thank you!

Posted by
1556 posts

With 2 days, I would just stay in Sofia. You should be able to get tours to the Rila monastery (long day). If traveling to Plovdiv, then buses are frequent and cheap if I remember correctly. Do a google search and you should be able to find the Sofia bus terminal (very modern) and the bus schedules.

Posted by
62 posts

Rila is an absolute must see for any trip to Bulgaria. If you only have two days in Bulgaria then just skip Plovdiv and stay in Sofia. There is no train service to Rila, you get off at teh local station and then take a connector buss to the Monastery. The buses are timed to be there when the train arrives and departs but since it is Bulgaria don't expect the timing to be perfect. You might look into a bus excursion to Rila since these are direct, comfortable and inexpensive if you use a Bulgarian travel agency. If you go with the tourists you'll pay at least double for the same trip. Sofia is alive with travel agencies, most of whom have someone on staff who speaks English, so finding one is not going to be difficult. March in Sofia will be cold and there is always the chance for snow so pack accordingly.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for the advice! I'll stay in Sofia and see if I can get an excursion to Rila Monastery. And I've packed warm layers.