Please sign in to post.

bulgaria

I'm considering a trip to Bulgaria and wonder if road and personal safety are concerns? The US State Department mentions some dangers. What are your experiences regarding road safety as well as personal safety?

Posted by
12040 posts

My last trip their was 8 years ago, so it may be somewhat out of date... but here goes anyway...

The road safety warning might stem from a lack of traffic signals on roads outside of the cities. Unless you plan to rent a car, this shouldn't be an issue.

The personal safety warning is probably there because Bulgaria is one of the mafia and human traffiking hubs of Europe. Just follow common sense precautions and you should be fine.

Posted by
16 posts

I currently live in Bulgaria for a while for work. The highways between towns are I think very nice. In Sofia and some of the big citys it can be kind of crazy, but its not any different then any other big city in the US. The other more rural roads have potholes and what not, same as the US. You will be fine driving there. As long as you have the right documents and drive deffensively you will be fine.

Posted by
24 posts

I have been to Bulgaria three times since the fall of communism, and each time I am amazed by the changes. I have traveled alone and with local friends. I never feared for my personal safety, but I always travel as if every local is a thief. A few suggestions:
1. Get out of Sofia. Bourgas on the Black Sea Coast is tremendous. From there, visit Sozopol. The Rila Monastery is cool, near Sofia.
2. Buses go everywhere, and there is plenty of competition. Finding someone who speaks English is hit-and-miss among bus station attendants; try asking out loud for a fellow traveler to help.

3. The train network used to be so bad even Bulgarians would not take it, but it has been given serious upgrading since Bulgaria started the process of joining the EU. On my last trip I went Sofia-Borgas by bus and Borgas-Sofia by train. I'll never take the bus again. The only thing better about the first class car are your fellow passengers.
4. In Sofia, only use taxis that have a meter, and compare the prices from one taxi to another. It is easy to pay too much, WAY too much.
5. Start reading Sofia Echo (http://sofiaecho.com/), the English-language print newspaper with a website.

Posted by
3112 posts

If you're concerned about travelling on your own, Rick is offering a 12-day Bulgaria tour beginning in 2010. Click on the Tours tab above to find details.