Please sign in to post.

Budapest or Krakow

We can only do one of the above this year so if you have to pick, then which one

Posted by
215 posts

A few months back we were in Prague when we ran
into a woman from our hometown. She had spent
the previous week in Budapest and we in Krakow.
After conversation over breakfast, we all agreed
that Krakow was the better choice. It is a
beautiful city with the easiest and best walking
streets we've ever experienced. Also inexpensive.

Posted by
3112 posts

Krakow is amazing - one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Very intimate, whereas Budapest is very large and spread out. Have visited and enjoyed both, but I'd vote for Krakow if forced to choose between them.

Posted by
29 posts

Hi,

Krakow is the best choice. Budapest is fine for one full day, but aside from the town of Eger, day trips don't offer much. With Krakow you get a lot of choices: Auchwitz, Zakopane(beautiful alpine city), Wieliczka(UNESCO salt mine caverns), Czestochwa(Catholic pilgrimage site and holiest place in Poland). With these great side trips Krakow is a must. The city itself is very calm, walkable, and much more enjoyable than gritty Budapest. Best of luck!

Jason

Posted by
448 posts

Last year we had 3 days in both cities and loved Krakow with its possible day trips and the compact size...but loved Budapest too and didn't see everything...too many baths to choose from!...However , if i hadn't been to either and HAD to choose again, i'd go to Krakow..just to see DaVinci's Lady and the Ermine, and sit for hours in the lovely square.

Posted by
65 posts

I have been to Budapest twice and Krakow once. Hard decision, they are both unique. I was a little iffy on Budapest on my first trip but after my second I kind of fell in love with it. It is definately a big city feel. On our second trip I got much more orientated with the city and really feel comfortable being there. We did the statue park tour(details in Rick's book), it provided some great insight into what it was like to live during the communist era. Good shopping, good restaurants (need to get off the beaten path so you don't pay an arm and leg), etc. Now with that said, Krakow was excellent. Smaller town, not the big bustling city like Budapest. Great town square and food was supurb...we had some of the best italian (we didn't have reservations and stumbled on this place). People were very nice and overall it left me wanting to see more of Poland. Shopping was good, not excellent. Lots to see in both places. The good news is that you can't go wrong either place. I did ask my husband Krakow or Budapest, he said Budapest. I would say that if you are spending the other part of your trip in big cities, pick Krakow. However, if you are spending the other part of your trip in smaller towns, Budapest might be a nice change.