Please sign in to post.

Budapest

Hello! I got two spend two days in Budapest a few years ago and it looks like I might go again for a week in September. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by
19 posts

Especially places to stay on the Pest side and to hire a driver for a day. Thanks again.

Posted by
17919 posts

Sort of a broad request. You might start at this web page. There is a link to a really good tour guide (driver) and a link to something called "The Guide" with some good tips. http://budapestflat.shutterfly.com/fivedaysinbudapest Place to stay? With nothing else to go on I generally suggest the K&K Opera as the best all around hotel in the best all around location in Budapest. If you have strong particular interests I might have other ideas. Get a little more centered and then ask more questions. Oh, and the weather is great in September and October.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks, James. This website is very helpful. I am going with my son, who is a photographer. We will spend our first three nights there on the Buda side at the convention center. Then we will spend five more nights on the Pest side, hopefully in an apartment hotel so we can cook some yummies from the market. Any recommendations for hotels? We will be on foot. We are also on a budget. Don't want to stay in a high-crime area of town, but we aren't five-star types at all. I have seen photos of quirky little sculptures around the city and would like to know if there is a guide to finding them.THe big things like the bridges and Fisherman's Bastion and Parliament jump out at you. I am kind of partial to cool things that don't. I want to go back to Memento Park, to the Holocaust Memorial by the Chain Bridge. Last time I didn't have time to go to the Great Synagogue or the baths. I would also like to hire a driver for one day to maybe go to Eger or the capitol of Slovakia, or a national park. The House of Terror sounds intriguing too. Ok, that's it. Still not centered enough maybe but definitely more specific. Thanks for your time.

Posted by
17919 posts

Well, for a hotel the K&K is good at about 90 euro a night. Otherwise i would say get out a map, draw a line down the center of Andrassy ut from the Oktogon to the river and then find a place within about a block north or two to three blocks sourth of that line. You can also rent real nice apartments for under 70 euro a night. If that interests you then I trust these guys and they have several to choose from in the area i suggested: http://www.budapestholidayservice.com/the_pond.htm Basically you can stay in a good neighborhood, close to all there is to see and do and it doesnt have to be expensive. For the statue hunt let me recommend that you contact a guide named Andrew ILLES and see if he can put together a tour for you. I think it would be a great idea and i want copies of the photos! (and a map of where they are). Andrew can be found at: http://www.guideinbudapest.com/

Posted by
17919 posts

Eger is a good train ride, direct with no changes, and a nice overnight stay. Look up the Senator HOuse hotel. Another nice train ride would be to Gyor and the Archabbey. look it up. Both would be great photo opportunities (as is Eger). Vac is another easy side trip by local train (30 minutes or so) with some interesting architecture and histroy (mummies anyone?). Geee, i should have thought of this first. YOu want statues? Go Kerepesi Cemetery. This place is not to be believed!! Its is absolutely stunning and a photographer's dream come true. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerepesi_Cemetery and it is right in the center of town.

Posted by
19 posts

I wonder how far in advance I should book everything. Both times I've ever left the continent it's been with tour groups so I didn't have to book anything at all. Suggestions? 'Preciate the info, James.

Posted by
989 posts

I will PM you with a recommendation for a driver that you can book for short rides or for the day. Lovely couple with a private business - extremely reliable and accomodating.