Please sign in to post.

Budapest

We have only 2 days in Budapest.... Yes, I know. But that's the reality of it all. Any suggestions as to what is reasonable to do, see? Should we tak ea local all city tour? Should we do it on our own?

Posted by
4 posts

We were there two years ago for a short visit. We bought a Hop on/ ticket which was good for 2 days and covered most of the city on 2 separate routes. It was an easy way to see the highlights, get a feel for the area, and see where you'd like to focus. If you are in the Center, the Market is wonderful. Beautiful place to walk too.

Posted by
17639 posts

You said two days. That always means something different to different people. For me a day is when you wake up and go to bed in the same town and not that you arrive Friday morning and leave Saturday evening. Let me know the date of arrival and date of departure and what interests you and what bores you and where you are staying and I will look some things up and give you some suggestions. In general I would count on: A half day guided overview of Budapest. This will give you an idea of what you want to go back to and do in depth and give you some sort of understanding of the city layout so you can get around easier. A half day on the Vaci Tourist Corridor from the Market Hall to the Chain Bridge A quarter to a half day on Buda Hill A quarter to a half day in the Jewish district
A quarter to a half day on the Andrassy ut corridor Evening suggestions include outside cafes, fine dining, classical music, folk music, belly dancers, opera, musicals, ruin pubs, strolls along the embankment, ......... Generally Budapest is easy and enjoyable to do on your own but with just two days it would be worth the effort. There is a guide named Andrew Illes that I have used on and off for about 10 years and I recommend him to our guests and I've gotten nothing but praise in return. Yes, after 10 years of traveling back and forth we still hire a guide from time to time to see and learn about those things that would otherwise take a life time. Andrew's web page is http://www.guideinbudapest.com/. A half day overview tour would be great. If you are arriving from another location in Europe he could pick you up at the airport or train station (or dock) and start from there. That way you get transport to your hotel and the tour. If you are arriving from the states you might be too pooped out for that.

Posted by
17639 posts

September First Day
If you are arriving by plane then make you way through passport control and pick up your bags and then ignore the taxi drivers hawking their services and head right out the front doors of the arrival lobby. To your left you will see a Fotaxi kiosk. Give them the name of your hotel and they will give you a slip of paper and usually another employee will assity you and your luggage to the cab. The charges are a fixed rate; you will be in Zone two so the rate is 5,800 ft (or 21 euro) or about $26.00. If you try paying in dollars they will probably charge you $30 which if fair because they aren't an exchange house. Unless you have other plans, since its late and sine I am guessing you just arrived from the states; you might want to just spend the evening on the embankment and possibly Vaci ut.

Posted by
17639 posts

September
Second Day The tours are always a good idea on short schedules. Andrew will do most anything you want. If you want a general tour, that's good but if you tell him you are interested in Cold War History or WWII or the Jewish plight he will customize it accordingly while still hitting the must see Budapest attractions. I have no business relationship with this guy, I just know I can trust him please the guests. Unless you have some specific interest a half day is probably enough to get your past all the sights and to get your orientated. After that its persuing your interests. After the morning tour grab the M1 metro up to the Opera and then walk on to the House of Terror (well done museum), then walk a metro stop or two further down Andrassy ut and them possibly hop back on the metro to Hero's Square. Then walk on to the park and the bath house. When you are ready to go back hop the M1 back to the river (last stop).

Posted by
17639 posts

September 3rd day Walk to the Dohany st Synagogue and take the tour. Then take the yellow tram to the Great Market hall and shop until you drop. Then the next tram will take you along the embankment towards the Chain Bridge. Get off before the bridge and then walk across the bridge and take the Funicular up to Buda Hill. Buda is about 2 hours of poking around. Walk down, across the bridge and back to your hotel. UNLESS you still have the energy and time if so walk the embankment towards the Parliament and stop at the shoes; leave a flower. September Fourth Day Sounds like you have a half day free. We can make this work. What are you guys interested in? Museums, war, communism, food, walks, shopping? If any of this interests you let me know and I can give you the details on the trams and metro lines and times, etc. Forgot the evenings and food! Ruin Pubs? Opera? Musical? Classical Concert? Boat Cruise at Night? Restaurants? Folk Dancing Gypsies and Belly Dancers, all available.
Let me know what you are interested int. Some of this I have covered in a guide I put together for my guests. You can find it at http://budapestflat.shutterfly.com/ Click on "INFO" and then look for a pdf file called "THE GUIDE".

Posted by
61 posts

Justine, 2 days is short, but you can still enjoy Budapest! What to see will also depend on your interests, but, here are my recommendations: During the day: Day 1: -Parliament Building in the morning, Buda Hill (visiting the Fisherman's Bastion, Mattias Church and the Royal Palace) in the afternoon. Day 2: -A walk down Andrassy Ut. - Visiting the House of Terror, The Hungarian Opera House, ending in Heroes' Square. Once a Heroes' Square, the Szechenyi Baths are very close by. Along Andrassy Ut. is also a great place to have lunch at the outdoor restaurants of cafes. -If time permits, visit the Great Market Hall or other places of interest. Evenings: -Take in concert or opera. -A stroll along the banks of the Danube, and or a Danube Night Cruise. The Parliament Building, Chain Bridge and Royal palace look stunning in the evening!
-Have dinner along Raday Ut. (please see my review on the RS website under Rick Steve's Guidebooks/Guide Book Feedback/Budapest/ Best and Worst Restaurants) Have a great trip!

Posted by
7 posts

As an aside- If we take public transportation from the airport to the city- Do we need a separate ticket for our luggage? I have read references to that fact several times. We travel with one 21 in rolling suitcase and one backpack each.

Posted by
17639 posts

Here is the official answer: http://www.bkv.hu/en/travel_conditions/terms_and_conditions_of_travelling Public transport to and from the airport seems to be a pretty tedious endeavor. I've never done it, I always take a taxi which is a bargain compared to most of the rest of the worlds airports. I would suggest you check out the minibus first: http://www.bud.hu/english/passengers/access_and_parking

Posted by
182 posts

On James' recommendation, we took Fotaxi to our hotel in Castle Hill. Just as James described to me: get off plane, collect luggage, go to Fotaxi counter, order car, get in first car in line and you're off while others are still waiting for a shuttle. It was exactly like that! The driver had passable English, the cab was clean and we made it to our hotel comfortably and quickly. I highly recommend it. I would also recommend the Hop On-Hop Off bus tour. It was a great way to see all of Budapest and then selected what we wanted more of. It also was a great way to get around. A stop at Central Market Hall is a must - we had a wonderful lunch with our Hungarian relatives - if they eat there, we eat there. :) Enjoy!

Posted by
55 posts

We spent 4 days in Budapest in the lovely "Pond" apartment (James's?). Technically you aren't allowed to take more than two small pieces of luggage each on the Metro but we schlepped two huge bags from the Keleti station to the Opera station and back, passing numerous guards along the way (note: validate your train ticket, they check like crazy here) and we were never bothered, except by the pain of having to haul the bags up several flights of stairs. We didn't take any tours but we did manage to see many of the sights using the Rick Steves guidebook. Don't miss St. Istvan's, the Great Market, Heroes Square, and the castle hill in Buda. Public transportation there is so much better than here. You can get anywhere and trains, trams, and buses com frrequently. A word about Parliament: the entire square in front of Parliament is torn up and you have no access at all. If you do want to go, you need to go to the Ethnography Museum really early to get tickets.

Posted by
17639 posts

Thank you Bill. Glad you enjoyed it. It's our home away from home. You know we rent it over 200 nights a year and no one, I mean absolutely no one, has ever abused it. Budapest tourists are a class act. You are correct. The land side of the parliament was once a giant Big Box type of parking lot. They are now putting all of the parking underground so that the land side of the Parliament can be a park. It will be a huge improvement. Until then it's a bit of a mess unfortunately. Also the Number 2 tram which was once a great ride from the Market Hall to the Parliament (and then connect on to Margaret Island; was closed just before the Parliament a few weeks ago. They had to cross the tracks with a ventilation pipe for the parking garage. I hope the full ride is opened again soon. If it isn't it is still a great tour ride along the embankment and will get your to and from the Market from near the Chain Bridge.

Posted by
55 posts

The tram line stops at the Holocaust memorial on the river bank. Everything towards Parliament from there is torn up. When we were there the embankment road was also closed. I don't know if this was because of pre-flood preparations or because of the construction. Your apartment was wonderful. It's obvious that you spent a lot of time getting things just right, from the sturdiness of the construction to the way the utensils all matched the colors in the apartment. My only complaint was that you could hear noise from people walking down the street but I think that's more a result of 20 years of suburban living having made me forget what city life is like. I'd recommend the Pond to anyone.

Posted by
17639 posts

The lower embankment road is often closed due to high water. Its first a flood control device and second a busy street. I don't suggest getting off the tram at the current end stop and trying to scurry across the lower embankment road (when it is open) to get to the Shoes on the Danube. We do it, but ..... Safer to walk up from the Chain Bridge. This monument is the sort of aspect of Budapest that makes the place singular; it is profound in its simple message. Pick up flowers on the way or bring a small stone from your home in the states. http://visitbudapest.travel/guide/budapest-attractions/shoes-on-the-danube/. Budapest is both extremely familiar and comfortable and at the same time an exaggeration of the reality American's are use to. Obviously I'm still searching for the words. But then again, because it's unique you either love it or don't. Not much middle ground. But that's why we have places like Vienna and Prague. So Bill, I get the idea you enjoyed Budapest? Did you visit the wine bar down the street. Nice folks. Occasionally a guest looses the key or has other issues and the manager of the place takes them in until help comes. We have gotten use to that sort of kindness in Budapest. Bill, again thank you. But we better knock if off before I get in trouble for promoting on the site. I really don't get involved with the renting. I have nice couple in Budapest that take care of 100% of the business including all the promotions. I like to help out here because I really do enjoy the town and want to help others enjoy it as well.