Please sign in to post.

Bucharest?

Traveling to Bulgaria for 2 weeks in July/Aug. Thinking of a side trip to Bucharest. Is it worth the extra time (2 days) to do this?

Posted by
417 posts

At the risk of giving bad advice, as I have not been there myself, but have known several people from Romania, I will reply.

Basically, they all say Bucharest itself has about a days worth of sights- but there are some good side trips such as Snagov and Sinaia. Brasov, about 3 hours away, is supposed to be spectacular, according to them.

If it were me, and I had the time, I would do it. however, if it is expensive or out of the way, I'd probably skip.

I have really been wanting to go to Romania, so did research this fairly extensively. One day I'll make it, I'm sure. Hopefully somebody who has actually been will reply, though!

Posted by
44 posts

thanks! That is the exactly the response I was looking for. We like to explore cultures versus visiting big cities in general. I will check out your suggestions.

Posted by
31 posts

My wife is Romanian and I have been to Bucharest many times. It is ok. A much better place to go is Brasov. It is a beautiful mountain town and Castle Bran, the real Dracula's castle is nearby.

Posted by
590 posts

I have to agree with the previous poster and that Brasov is a must see!

Posted by
1556 posts

We were in Romania 3 years ago and agree with all the previous posters. If time is short, skip Bucharest. However, all the places mentioned, especially Brasov is a long way from anywhere in Bulgaria.

It may be helpful to know where in Bulgaria you will be visiting and also where your flight home departs from. If you have to backtrack and depart from Bulgaria then it may not be worth your while to visit Romania on this trip. When we did this, we took a train from Veliko Tarnovo to Bucharest (6+ hrs) and Brasov was a further 3 hrs away. However, for us this was at the very end of a long trip through the Balkans and our flight home was from Bucharest.