Please sign in to post.

Auschwitz

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I've never been so it isn't to me. Is it safe for a single woman to bus from Krakow to Auschwitz for the day for the tour?

Posted by
276 posts

Very safe; I took the bus all over southern Poland including the route between Krakow and Oswiecim (The Polish name for Auschwitz)by myself and never had a problem. You can take one of the regular intercity buses, or if you'd prefer, there are special buses for visitors. You can usually get information from the front desk of your hotel.

Posted by
9099 posts

If you want to take the IC bus to the camp, take ones the are specifically labeled "Auschwitz Museum"...they go all the way to the camp instead terminating at the train station a mile away. Be aware that there is a new rule this summer that all visitors must be on a guided tour to visit the Camps. If you arrive solo they will stick you with another group. So you many just want to take an organized bus tour.

Posted by
173 posts

What is the difference between an organized bus tour and the tour they put you in at the museum? From what I've read, the tours done by the museum are great and the bus tours are a waste of money.

Posted by
9099 posts

What is the difference between an organized bus tour and the tour they put you in at the museum? From what I've read, the tours done by the museum are great and the bus tours are a waste of money.

The organized bus tours are obviously more expensive, but they get you to the camps faster, and are sometimes more comfortable. The IC buses occasionally use municipal buses with hard plastic seats, it can get a bit uncomfortable after a while:) But they also use coach type buses with AC and reclining seats. This is second hand info...but I read on another board that when you show up, you may be placed in a tour using the camps guides or they may stick you with one of the organized bus tours, so it may not make any difference.
Another tip, just purchase a one-way bus ticket. When you're you at the second camp (Birkenau), if the organized bus tours have empty seats they will sell those seats at the price the IC bus charges. It's a good deal because you get a non-stop ride back to Krakow, and they will drop you off directly at your hotel. In the parking lot the drivers and guides will be "hustling" the service.

http://en.auschwitz.org.pl/m/