Please sign in to post.

Athens Metro

Can anyone tell me if the Athens metro system is up and running yet? Rick's book states that it is likely to be closed through August.. We will be in Athens September 7-9, and are just trying to figure out how to get to the hotel from the airport. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
7534 posts

If not up yet, there is a very handy bus that runs 24/7 between Syntagma Square and the Airport.

Posted by
3121 posts

I read recently that it will reopen at the end of the month, but I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime there's a bus into Central Athens to Syntagma Square every 20 minutes or so, 24/7/365 that departs from outside Door # 5 on the Arrivals level. The ticket kiosk is out there too. The fare is 3.2 euro. Validate the ticket in the little machine inside the bus. There is luggage storage inside as well.

Posted by
1388 posts

Last week's Athens Plus said it was closed 'until early September'. As Lee says I'm not holding my breath. I'd plan on taking the bus.

Have a good trip

Alan

Posted by
7534 posts

Ah, yes, a trait I love about the Greeks is their relaxed attitude, you learn that there is time, then there is Greek time. great for relaxing on an island, not so great related to construction projects.

Posted by
156 posts

I checked with our hotel who called the metro. They were informed that the line from the airport to the city is set to open as planned on Sept 1.

Posted by
166 posts

Ah, that is wonderful news! Thank you so much!

Posted by
3121 posts

Celebration for the Metro re-opening on Sept. 1 is premature. Have a backup plan in place just in case. You'll know soon enough once you're there.

Posted by
34 posts

I took the metro from the port to the Plaka station in June 2009 with no problems.

Posted by
3121 posts

It's only part of the Blue Line Metro between Syntagma Square and the airport that's closed. The other lines are still up and running.

Posted by
4 posts

I am flying into Athens myself on September 7th from Paris. Need to get to the downtown. As I follow this thread it seems that Sept. 1st is the big day of reopening a leg of the Metro. Am I interpreting this thread correctly. How do I verify that the Metro will be up and running? Take care, Andreas

P.S. Does anyone know the fare from the airport to Omonoia?

P.S.S. Is Omonoia Square really that sketchy after 9 p.m.?

Posted by
1388 posts

Andreas

Unless the re-opening is reported in the Greek press, or someone who has been in Athens lets us know, I don't think you can be absolutely sure.

It's not really a problem though, because if the metro isn't up and running you can get the express bus that does the same job. There are departure boards in the airport and you'll be able to see what is running and when the next departure is.

When the metro was last running tickets were 5 euros, with a group rate of 8 euros for 2 people. Express bus tickets are 3.20 euros. There's a new 3 day travel pass for 15 euros which includes the airport trip and may be worth considering.

The metro line, or the express bus, take you to Syntagma and you will need to change to get the metro down to Omonia.

That area has become a lot worse in the last couple of years. All of the violence, that I'm aware of, has been inter gang rather than directed at tourists, but pickpocketing is a problem so keep a careful eye on belongings.

Having said that I wouldn't want to exaggerate the situation. I still walk happily through Omonia at night. It's just a question of using the precautions you would take in any big city.

Have a good trip.

Alan

Posted by
3121 posts

Once you've arrived you can ask at a tourist information kiosk inside the airport about whether or not the Metro is running. The fare is 6 euro, not 5, and two for 10 euro. You will have to transfer to the Red Line at the Syntagma Station.

The Airport Express Bus X95 departs from outside Exit/Entry Door 5 on the Arrivals level every 20 minutes or so, 24/7/365, to Syntagma Square, same schedule returning to the airport. From the Syntagma Metro Station you can take the Red Line Metro 2 stops to Omonia. Buy bus tickets outside Door 5 at the kiosk.

Posted by
1388 posts

Richard

Thanks for that. It seems pretty conclusive.

Yes, it means the line to the centre is now up and running again, although a couple of the new stations in the suburbs aren't yet open.

Thanks again

Alan